Remove this ad

Rudorff

Brigadier

Lead

May 10 15 2:33 PM

Tags : :

I think I've got the answer to no.1 but I'd like to check with those more advanced in their research

1) Grenadier battalions carried only 1 standard?             ( I think it is yes, and was a yellow one?)

2) Was there a pecking order within the Grenadier Battalions as to which component division provided and/or carried the standard?

Cheers, Gary
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Rudorff

Brigadier

#2 [url]

Jun 4 15 10:52 AM

They carried the white flag during the 1805 campaign when the Grenadier companies formed part of the new First battalion, but during the Revolutionary Wars the Austrian Infantry battalions carried two standards each, with the first battalion of each regiment carrying the Leibfahne -white flag and a yellow one, the other battalions carried 2 yellow ones. So I'm fairly confident that the Grenadier battalions in 1796-1800 carried the Yellow flag but was looking for confirmation.

After 1805, the Mack Reforms were binned and the Leibfahne went back to being carried by the 1st Battalion and the composite grenadier battalions reverted to carrying a yellow flag.

The 2nd query was about whether the Grenadiers from the senior regiment in the composite battalion would always carry the standard or whether there was any rota or similar alternative system.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 17 15 6:47 PM

Grenadier flags

Yes, you are right: other than in 1805, the Grenadier battalions carried a single yellow Ordinarfahne, usually a spare from a depot. I would think it would be the responsibility of the battalion command (which would vary by unit as a spare senior officer would be appointed as required from one of the constituent regts) to make sure they had one. Bill is talking about the old myth, which has come down through French sources, which derives from the number of Leibfahnen taken at Ulm. Likewise the Fuhrer carrying the flag would be part of the battalion command.  

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help