Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 7 15 11:00 AM

Tags : :

hi everyone
I'm after a bit of advice how members organise french or russian battalions 24 figures strong!
eg should french be 6 bases of 4? (4 volt, 4 grenadiers and 16 fusiliers)
should russians be 3 grenadiers, 3 lights and 18 musketeers?
any advice welcome...( I have the rules)
cheers
peter
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 7 15 11:28 AM

Hi Peter,

I have a number of French battalions for 1813.  My own experience is that battalions of less than 400 strong are fragile, and are better off being merged with another of the same size.  So end up with a bn of 36-40 rather than two of 15-20.

For 24s, do the flank companies on 2 bases of four, and the fusilier companies on 2 bases of 8.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 9 15 9:21 AM

No sweat Peter,

Happy to help out.  Lots of knowledgeable and helpful folk here on this forum. It's usually just being time-poor that prevents faster responses.  Invariably patience is rewarded.  Welcome to GdB smiley: smile

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 9 15 9:24 AM

Pardon the bent standard pole, but a 24 looks like this...

c463603b8692a8bc0f51c6ccda174c9985d14286

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Aug 10 15 12:10 AM

For the French I would do six 4 man stands. My 24 man Russians are two
8 man center company stands, one 4 man grenadier stand, and two 2 man light stands. That worked best for me with the figures I had.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 11 15 4:38 AM

Build all of your battalions at full strength, then reduce their strength by lifting stands.  Make the French 6 stands of 6 and remove 1 or 2 stands to create units of 24 or 30 figures.  
(The voltiguer company stand is split down the middle to make two small stands of 3 figures each.)  Make Russian battalions 4 stands of 8 figures each, and remove one stand to create a 24 figure unit.  

- Chris Salander

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 15 16 5:30 PM

Please don;t lose sight of the practice that they kept the battalion frontage the same as they took loses. They used the rearmost rank to fill in gaps in the front. They did not shrink the width of a battalion in line as the losses mounted- that gave the enemy encouragement and a weaker target to attack and gain some "flank attack" advantages. The third rank did not really have an effective role in issueing fire- in close order there was little space to stick a musket muzzle without blowing off the head of the first rank. I suggest using small-coin markers (flocked and some with a "5" lable) to keep track of loses.   Myself, I am not decided about "resizing" the battalions after they have had serious losses AND have moved (& gone through 3-rank formation evolutions), and thereby possibly changing frontage distance in line. smiley: eek

Last Edited By: TerribleStorm Mar 15 16 5:34 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help