Remove this ad

DCRBrown

General de Division

Lead

Aug 16 14 9:25 AM

Tags : :

Starting to bring together the latest GdeB scenario volume - Imperial Sunset : The 1813-14 Campaigns.

Listed fro inclusion are listed below. (Those with a ? are still up for discussion.) Possible bonus scenario as well.

1.       Lutzen: Gross-Gorschen

2.       Lutzen: Streisdale?

3.       Bautzen: Struggle for Preititz

4.       Dresden: The Gross-Garten?

5.       Kulm.  Day 1.

6.       Leipzig: The Battle for Dolitz.

7.       Leipzig: The Battle for Mockern.

8.       Leipzig: The Battle for Lindenaeu?

9.       Craonne.
10.   La Rotherie?

DB

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Aug 21 14 9:58 AM

Imperial Sunsets

DB, apologies for the tardy response.  I have had forum log in issues with Explorer 7.  Chrome seems better now.

Great idea!  I'll have a copy!  The Wars of Liberation are my favourite period in the era.  Mobilised citzenry, fighting for liberty, revenge and survival.  Whilst perhaps lacking some of the tactical finesse of other phases, the sheer scale and variety of combat and participants is spectacular.  That's my uneducated opinion anyway.

If we are bidding for sceanrios, I'd plug Wartenburg 1813.  Yorck's Prussian I Corps forcing an opposed crossing of the Elbe against Bertrand's Franco-Italian-Wurrtemburg IV Corps.  Difficult terrain, wide open fields of fire, and a few BUA opportunities thrown in.  Send in the landwehr!

Cheers,

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 23 14 7:38 PM

REALLY looking forward to this one! I would, however, like to comment that there are allready scenarios for Gross-Gorschen and Craonne in the other scenario books. How about some other battles like Dennewitz, Grossbeeren, Liebertwolkwitz or Montmirail? There were also so many divisional size engagements such as Hagelberg etc. Anyway just some thoughs, I'm sure it will be great!

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#7 [url]

Aug 26 14 9:54 AM

B,

Yes, I know some existing scenario reappear in certain volumes, the idea was to gather all "period" scenarios into one volume and also, though frankly I find this hard to believe Wink02, but some players use the scenarios for use with "other rules", thus could well not already have the odd overlapping scenario.

Having said that the aim was to keep Gross - Gorschen was so that it could be twinned with the Streisdale scenario, (though I'm going off this idea as this scenario is proving difficult to replicate as its mainly squares moving up against cavalry, so may not be conducive to a stand alone game). The principle same applies for the Leipzig scenarios.

So I may well drop Gross-Gorschen/Streisdale.

If anyone has some ready made 1813 GdeB-type scenarios they would like included in this volume then plse forward them to me and I'll playtest, etc. with a view to including them if suitable.

DB

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 26 14 4:39 PM

For something different, how about battle of the Göhrde. A bit one sided, but Wallmoden's Corps included an interesting mix of British, KGL, Hanoverian, Russo-German Legion, Prussian (including Lützow's Frei Korps) and Russian Cossacks.

If you wanted to balance up the outnumbered French Division of Pécheux, then you could allow his Danish allies to join him (they took part in the campaign, but not this particular battle).

Rod

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 28 14 2:47 PM

I am not keen on a re-done Gross-Goschen scenario eitherunless this depicts the later fighting in the area, not the early actions depicted in Scenario Book 1. This might or might ot include the advance of the Young Guard. Alternatively the Young Guard attack might be a seperate game. I would prefer to pull the Gross-Goesschen scenario altogether and cover the above in a combined Lutze Starsiedal game. We might do the Yung Guard assault as an optional add on to this scenario but this would clearly be a very big game, possibly best done in 6mm. Those with lots of 15mm figures might consider it practical in that scale.

Likewise the fightig around Leipzig (Dolitz) has alreay been done in the Scenario Book 2 Dolitz-Probstheyda game. Instead perhaps a scenario depicting another part of Leipzig either on the 16th or 18 would be preferred.

I do like the ideas of games covering Denneitz (though it would have to b only a part of this rather large battle), Montmiral (could be doable in its entirety as a big game particularly in 6mm) and La Rothiere (again perhaps only the most interesting part of the battle (for instance the struggle around La Rothiere itself. Smaller actions such as Gohrde and Hageberg would be a lot of fun.

There are also the actions along the Bober Rvr.r in |August 1813. A rather interesting battle at Goldburg is described insome detal in the second volume of Nafsiger's three volume history. Speaking of Nafzger he is apparently bringing out a volume on 1814 at the end of the year or early next year assuming the pubisher stays on track!

Given the scope of the 1813 - 14 campaigns it could be worth considering a somewhat larger scenario book than usual.

Noting Dr Brown's request for scenarios I have been working on a large Aspern-Essling scenario covering Lannes' attack on the mornng of Day 2. Obviously not suited to Imperial Sunset but, should yo be contemplating an 1809 book in the near future... :-) In its' entirety this wuld be a big game to say the least but it would only cover about three or four hours fighting in the centre and ignores the villages of Aspern and Essling. Terrain will be very simple, the embankment a couple of roads and the Danube Flood Plain being the main fewaures. Lots of scope for major cavalry actions however.

Luke

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 10 14 11:12 AM

This sounds interesting.

My view is that the Peninsular book, volume 5, is the least good so far. Too much speculative stuff and previously seen scenarios. The production was lovely but that counts for nothing if the content isn't up there too. I can live with the simple format of the earlier books if the content is good enough. 
The trick seems to be to create "games" from either entire battles or parts thereof, the Austerlitz series you wrote is a good example. 
Straight refights are not the same thing at all and don't bring anything to the table.
I also want to see more than 10 scenarios please, any less than 20 is pretty disappointing given the breadth of the period covered and the cost of these books. I don't mind paying a decent whack for 20 plus decent scenarios someone else has created for us to pick up and play, cost per game for we four Marauders is peanuts at £25 to £30, these books can be excellent value when you look at it like that.
So, bits of Leipzig as you describe, bits of Dresden combining into a biggy, all of Bautzen, Dennewitz, Grossbeeren, Liebertwolkwitz, Kulm, more bits of the Katzbach, Montmiral, La Rothiere, Arcis sur Aube, Champaubert. Lastly I am no expert on the Austrian Neapolitan struggle at the end of the wars but there must be something going on there for us surely?
So I want everything basically - but crucially I don't mind paying for it!
Good luck with this project and hopefully the long awaited 1809 supplement. No pressure!
Best wishes
Jeremy             

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Nov 12 15 4:30 PM

Have you looked at a scenario for Vauchamps?  There are two boardgames out for it.  Is there anything in the game that is problematical?

Thoughts: Vauchamps would be the only built up area on the table and have a capacity of two battalions.
Command rolls for Blucher to his Russians would be at a -1.
Not sure if the Allied force should be required to withdraw by the end of the battle.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Dec 6 15 6:26 PM

Looking forward to the scenario book to. Like Jeremy not bothered about price, a good number of scenarios would be great. Getting excited about building Saxons so would be nice to have something to build towards. Was chatting about it recently with friends and was thinking when it will be released.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Dec 7 15 2:39 AM

The Gross Gorschen scenario is not the one in the scenario book, but rather the full attack. It uses the same map but much larger forces. The French have 26 infantry units, 4 cavalry units, and 4 batteries. The Prussians have 23 infantry units, 5 cavalry units, and 4 batteries. This a much bigger game and should be better.

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#15 [url]

Dec 16 15 10:04 PM

It's all done and we're going through the layout, ect.

However there was one glitch as most of the photos were of the wrong spec for publication!

So if you have any good quality photos (at least 2270 x 1500 pixels) I'd be grateful for those that fit 1813 or the follow scenarios!

1. Lutzen: The Prussian Charge.

2.      Lutzen: La Garde au Feu!

3.      Lutzen: Action at Eisdorf.

4.      Bautzen: Franquemont's Attack.

5.      Dresden: Murat's Flank.

6.      Kulm: The First Day.

7.      Hagelberg

8.      Dennewitz - Ney's Battle.

9.      Dennewitz - The Saxon Battle.

10.  Leipzig: The Battle for Dolitz.

11.  Leipzig: Schonefeld.

12.  La Rothiere.

13.   La Rothiere - Marmont's Flank.

Many thanks!

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#17 [url]

Jan 20 16 3:30 PM

Now complete!

1.      Lutzen: The Prussian Charge.

2.      Lutzen: La Garde au Feu!

3.      Lutzen: Action at Eisdorf.

4.      Bautzen: Franquemont's Attack.

5.      Dresden: Murat's Flank.

6.      Kulm: The First Day.

7.      Hagelberg.

8.      Dennewitz - Ney's Battle.

9.      Dennewitz - The Saxon Battle.

10.  Leipzig: The Battle for Dolitz.

11.  Leipzig: Schonefeld.

12.  La Rothiere.

13.  La Rothiere - Marmont's Flank.

The Lutzen scenarios see Prussians & Russians up against a variety of French and Imperial Guard. All three are linked so can be played together.

Bautzen has Wurttemberg troops up against Prussians, while Dresden sees Murat's conscripts and cuirassiers up against Austrian squares.

Kulm has the courageous Vandamme battle the Russian guards, while Hegelberg has an assortment of French and Confederation second line units facing the newly raised Prussian Landwehr.

Dennewitz portrays the whole of Ney's engagement with opposing Prussian forces, before we cover aspects of Leipzig and finally into the 1814 campaign with linked scenarios with Napoleon caught for once without the strategic initiative engaging a powerful allied army of Austrians, Russians and Bavarians.

DB

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help