Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 13 15 9:19 AM

Tags : :

Hi everyone,
Ive recently played my first game of GdB and i like the rules however i have some confusion over basing conventions. On pages 11-12 it seems that all bases should be 6 or 8 figures in size but the organisation tables between pages 29-33 seem to be indicating that companies can have a smaller number of figures on each base (or even more). To put this in some context im intending to base the British in 4's and the French in 6's as from what i understand the company strengths were on average around about 80 and 120 per company respectively. Can anyone tell me if this will present any problems with the game mechanics (principally as regards formations) ?
Cheers,
Strontiumdog
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 13 15 10:21 AM

Stronty, the figures per base don't matter in terms of the rules. Most people try to base with a 1-2 company per base in order to detach flank companies. 6 x 6 are fine for French as as 6 x 4 or any combinations thereof. My Russians with four companies will be 8 per base, my Saxons are the same and French at 6 x 6 or 6 x 5.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 25 15 8:28 PM

Of course if you have a different width for a file for two different armies, the world does not end. What you get are units that have different properties and characteristics- and you get that without any extra rules and tables!! A denser unit takes up less frontage on the tabletop and hits a bit harder. A denser unit does NOT cover as much width on the tabletop and can be more easily outflanked. You might have more figures close to a routing unit and suffer more effects. It is not the end of the world.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 3 15 11:56 AM

Mentioning frontage per figure (for 15mm figs) 10mm/figure looks best to my eye but the rulebook says british should be 12mm/figure for the two rank system. This would mean that an average 30 figure British Battalion would have the same frontage overall as a 36 figure French Battalion using 10mm/figure.Would this be a good idea to implement or should i just go 10mm/figure for all armies?

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 3 15 11:07 PM

I think to err on the side of simplicity and consistency would be preferred.
The difference in frontage in making the British battalion wider(or not) sounds to be somewhat inconsequential (6figures/2 ranks = 3 figures by 12mm = 3.6cm) in the context of a game. Others might have an alternate view.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 4 15 7:05 PM

It certainly makes more sense to keep all nations frontage/figure consistent. Personally i think 12mm/figure puts them visually a bit too far apart as from what i understand they were virtually elbow to elbow, 10mm looks good to me - what do you guys use out of interest?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Oct 4 15 10:00 PM

I started out with 12, then moved to 10, and now use 9 where the pose permits. Gives them the elbow to elbow look, without leaving fire lanes between figures. Also means their footprint is smaller, which is useful for storage. I use a depth of 25 for infantry, and 35 for cavalry. If you have a look in the gallery, you will see examples.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 5 15 3:29 PM

I have my 15mm, with 10mm frontage per figure and 25mm deep for 2 ranks. French columns then look nice and dense, but there is still room (just) between the figures to complete the basing!

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Oct 5 15 3:40 PM

Thanks for all your input guys - its been a pain in the donkey trying to come to a decision - but ive made my mind up now! yes i saw your post the other night Beresford and ive taken some pointers off you :)

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Nov 11 15 4:06 AM

As I read it, the original question is about how to reduce the size of units from full strength to the strengths shown in the Orders of Battle.  In GdB, this is designed to be as simple as possible.  Base your French in 6 companies of 6 figures each.  When you need to reduce the size of the unit, lift out one or two bases, resulting in battalions of 30 or 24 figures.
At this point the issue arises of whether or not you should remove the voltiguer company.  Look at the OB and see if there is a separate group of skirmishers.  If yes, send the V company to that group.
Both French and British regular units in the OBs should shrink in size by multiples of 6.  Elite British units and Prussian, Russian, and Spanish units shrink by 8 figures. (1 stand)
(32 to 24)

- Chris Salander

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 5 16 7:31 AM

Chris, I have a few issues with how to represent smaller units. Typically GdB uses one stand to represent a "company". Keeping this allows you to arrange companies in formations that look like what was on the battlefield. A 4-company battalion in square should look like a square and not a triangle and a 6 company battalion should be a rectangle and not a pentagon. You lose that with removing an entire stand. Also, sometimes people want to represent, say a 6 company battalion with 1/6th losses as 5 stands- which leads to the misrepresentation in shapes above, as well as a shortened length of line. I believe that as a unit in line took loses, they kept the length of line the same, and thinned out the third rank. This kept the fire power (largely defined by the front two shooting ranks) the same and kept the width of the battalion the same, which prevented the creation of gaps in a mulit-battalion line of battle. .... What I have done is to have different number of figures on the stands for different sized units- which matches what was. I keep track of casualties by markers (flocked penny counters) and also have the light company represented by two, one rank stands. These look better when deployed as skirmishers and do allow you to make some "change" if you want to go that route.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 5 16 9:15 AM

I find that splitting/cutting a base down  so you can take casualties off helps me  a great deal and helps run the game quicker ,

Its less book keeping and at a glance you can see if the unit has lost any troops and the other player can see as well , how many times do we cross off the wrong unit ,take a bit more time to cut the bases up but i find its better in the long run..

So a 6 fig base i  have   two  bases of 1 figs 2 bases of 2 figs,  
        8 fig base i have   two bases of 1 figs ,one base of 2 figs and  one base of 4 figs ..

and i find that when you have smaller units they are a lot easy er to field them as you can get the right number . 
As for the shape of the unit i find that its not a real problem in the game, 

Hope this helps V.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 2 16 2:02 AM

Confusion Over Basing

We usually mark the casualties on the back rows.  Whether you remove whole stands when there are that many casualties is something of a game by game or club by club decision.  People who want a visual reminder of how many figures the unit started with will want to keep the stands.  People who want to slip a column of cavalry through a gap in an infantry line will want to remove the stands.

- Chris Salander

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help