Remove this ad

Lead

May 15 16 1:55 PM

Tags : :

Hi all!
A few gaming buddies and I are planning on jumping into the Napoleonic period of gaming, but although we have all been gaming for decades, only one of us has any experience of this period, and that was from over 20 years ago!
I'm desperate for advice on which rule set to start off with, and yes, I do realise I'm asking folk who all play General de Brigade, I suppose I really should ask - "Will this rule set suit us?"
After a little research into a few rule systems it's obvious that different rule sets are aimed at different scale battles, whether that's Brigade/Divisional/Army level etc. My friend who played years ago, played Napoleons Battles from Avalon Hill, and as he remembers it, each block (for want of a better word) of figures represented a Battalion, and all functions of that Battalion ( skirmishes, grenadiers and line ) were taken into consideration as one overall stat line. We would prefer to play at a less epic level, being more in control of individual companies. We are looking at using 15mm figures.
Will General de Brigade fit in with our ideas? All advice welcome, as I said earlier we are total novices to this period.
Thanks in advance.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 16 16 5:36 AM

Bonjour,

Welcome to the forum.

I understand exactly where you're coming from on this as I too like to be able to almost hear the struggle on the table-top.

GDB works on many levels but it is particularly successful in the amount of tactical control of smaller units, be they battalions of infantry or squadrons of cavalry, where how you approach and engage with the enemy is very important indeed.

For example, when should your cavalry charge or whether your infantry wish to receive a charge in line or you decide that a square is a better option.

This fits within a wider Brigade level game and this combination of detail and scale is what makes GDB work for me.

As an aside, I've happily stuck with GDB for years but am always looking for a better set of WW2 rules.

Cheers,

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 16 16 10:26 PM

ambert1 wrote:
Bonjour,

Welcome to the forum.

I understand exactly where you're coming from on this as I too like to be able to almost hear the struggle on the table-top.

GDB works on many levels but it is particularly successful in the amount of tactical control of smaller units, be they battalions of infantry or squadrons of cavalry, where how you approach and engage with the enemy is very important indeed.

For example, when should your cavalry charge or whether your infantry wish to receive a charge in line or you decide that a square is a better option.

This fits within a wider Brigade level game and this combination of detail and scale is what makes GDB work for me.

As an aside, I've happily stuck with GDB for years but am always looking for a better set of WW2 rules.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul, you nailed it!  A great explanation!  I fully agree with every word.  

John,
 GdB is a great set of rules.

God bless,
John T.

Last Edited By: John Tyson May 16 16 10:39 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 18 16 5:11 PM

I think John's synopsis is very good. Here is my take for what it is worth. Yes, and welcome to the forum.

Why General de Brigade? I have tried Black Powder, Shako2 and others and I have found that they have sacrificed a lot detail and realism for the sake of a fast play mechanism. ; General de Brigade rules are a good balance between realistic rules that reflect Napoleonic tactics and quick play rules. It is scaled for 25mm and 15mm figure scales...inches for 25mm and cms for 15mm...throughout the rules for quick reference.

I like the 20:1 ratio, which forces one to consider the terrain vis a vis the formation the battalion is in. I also like the orders regime that forces one to think ahead and mitigates the 'sky general' aspect of most games. Units within a brigade must operate within the order constraints.

Most importantly I like the morale system that applies to units, brigades and divisions. This provides more realistic play so that units do not fight until the last man standing. 

Lastly, Gde B has this active forum to discuss the rules and their possible interpretations A great set of rules and highly recommended.

RJS

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help