Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 10 16 11:11 PM

Tags : : , ,

Hi all

Just a couple of questions as i am wanting to return to painting and playing with 15mm Napoleonic, however, due to health reasons i have been retired at 40 and have limited funds for this project and was wondering if anyone could answer these questions for me.

Question one: Which are better molded and easiest to paint, AB or Old Glory 15mm?
Question Two: Which paints are recommended for painting such figures?

Thank you all in advance.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

DCRBrown

General de Division

#1 [url]

Aug 11 16 8:54 AM

AC,

You'll probably receive replies from far more accomplished painters than I, but IMHO:

1. AB. I've nothing against OG, which have a great range and some good poses, (and fantastic Marshals sets) but I just find ABs so much easier to paint.
2. Vallejo. Massive range and as you're not "opening the tin" every time to paint they generally have a longer shelf life. Though I use quite a few MP Miniature Paints as well, in the little glass pots.)

DB

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 14 16 2:00 PM

Beresford wrote:
There is a MindGames in Burnie if you are still down in Tasmania.

Thanks mate, i have moved and now reside in Brisbane, i will have to shop around and see who stocks what up here.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Aug 17 16 6:04 AM

The problem with AB miniatures is that they are so good , you feel you need to do a really good paint job on them.

My 15mm stuff is both Old Glory and AB , but my commanders are all AB.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 17 16 6:22 AM

Here in Australia the price for a single AB figure is $1.10 where as the prince for 50 figures of OG is $52

But i do love AB figures and find them easy to paint. i guess now i have the brand from where my figures are coming from, i just need to decide where the get the paint. i have been using Humbrol but i am not sure how good they are compared to newer paints.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 23 16 1:16 AM

here is a list of paints that i have found on the net when painting British Napoleonic's, Can i please get some of your thoughts on this?

Facings (Collars and cuffs) – Army Painter Warpaints Greenskin
Breadbag – Vallejo Model Colour 976 Buff
Canteen – Vallejo Model Colour 900 French Mirage Blue
Musket wood, hair – Vallejo Model Colour 871 Leather Brown
Trousers and Greatcoat roll – Vallejo Model Colour 992 Neutral Grey
Shako, shoes, scabbard and backpack – Vallejo Model Colour 950 Black
Flesh – Army Painter Warpaints Barbarian Flesh
Bayonet and musket metalwork – Vallejo Model Colour 865 Oily Steel

TY

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 31 16 6:48 PM

I'd just add that British infantry facings varied in colour, matching the main colour of their Regimental flag.
In section 3 of the following link, all the Regimental facings are given.
I will confess to being a bit of a novice with this period, but I'm pretty sure this link is correct.

Regards,
John.

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/foreigners_British_army.htm#britishinfantryuniforms

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 31 16 10:40 PM

John C wrote:
I'd just add that British infantry facings varied in colour, matching the main colour of their Regimental flag.
In section 3 of the following link, all the Regimental facings are given.
I will confess to being a bit of a novice with this period, but I'm pretty sure this link is correct.

Regards,
John.

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/foreigners_British_army.htm#britishinfantryuniforms

Thank you john that helps alot. just need to work out what paint code i need for painting my figures now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help