Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 3 16 8:21 AM

Tags : :

I/we are playing a AWI Campaign at are club, Its nice and easy with the Liberty board game ,
Would i be right in thinking that a American Rebel battalion would have more men as a rule of thumb ?
Could i there for roll a 6D for the size of the battalion say:

1    = 14 figs 
2,3 = 16 figs 
4,5 = 18 figs  
6   =  20figs 

All the Continental start the game  as 2nd Line but when they have been blooded and won a few battles the become Line troops 

As for the british they are a standard 16 figs and hesssian  24 figs .

Should the British Loyalist brigades have any  Line troops in them ? should i roll for the quality of the battalions as well , would this work ? On a roll of a D6
1,2,  =Militia
3,4,5,= 2nd Line 
  6    = Line 

would like your opinion on this happy gaming lads dave.v 
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 7 16 9:00 PM

Dave,
the campaign sounds like fun - and they usually produce interesting games. It's hard for me to say without knowing the specifics of where your campaign is happening and at what date. In general I would say that if you're doing the early war 1775-77 period, perhaps you are being too generous to the Continental and state troops. Washington really hadn't gripped the Continental Army up to that point and I'd be tempted to use the same rolls as for your loyalists. On militia remember also that some of them - like the Associators in Philadelphia - were really dreadful and deserving of a Levy morale grade.
In general terms though your scheme looks pretty good. If you have an umpire or someone running the thing, they can always be the arbiter of whether a unit goes up a grade after a particularly heroic battle - or indeed drops a grade after a drubbing.
EC

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 19 16 10:52 PM

Von Hesh wrote:
I/we are playing a AWI Campaign at are club, Its nice and easy with the Liberty board game ,Would i be right in thinking that a American Rebel battalion would have more men as a rule of thumb ?Could i there for roll a 6D for the size of the battalion say:

1    = 14 figs 
2,3 = 16 figs 
4,5 = 18 figs  
6   =  20figs 

Hi Dave (Brendan here!),

It really depends in which year of the war the campaign is set, but in the early years they might well be bigger.  For example, in 1775, the regiments besieging Boston were (as Eclaireur says) not of great quality, but could be very large - that said, they probably never fought at those strengths, or if they did were split into "wings" (half regiments/battalions) which, often as not, could be given completely separate tasks.  Likewise, the 1776 units (not just the nominal "Continental" regiments, but also those from outside New England) could be large; once you get into 1777 though, they reduce to closer to British size and from the Philly campaign onwards you start seeing two or more regiments being amalgamated in the field.  Post-Steuben, 160 files (320 R&F) was the most a single battalion could be, with larger units (though I can't recall any) being split into two battalions.

For 1775/1776, I would go with 30 figs (6), 28 (5), 24 (4,3), 20 (2,1).

Brendan

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help