Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 29 17 4:19 PM

Tags : :

Queries and clarifications required please after yesterday's game.....

1. Snipers – Are Snipers like Sharpshooters and skirmishers in that they are removed if actually contacted?

2. Sniper Line of Sight - Can a Sniper target a General if the Officer is deployed behind a unit?  Rationale for – He’s likely on a horse so able to be seen above his men.  Rationale against – Under battlefield conditions – smoke etc, who knows?  Need a simple KISS ruling.

3. What happens when a Sniper’s Brigade becomes ‘Chewed Up’?  I can’t find this.  I’m thinking he’s highly likely to be removed/dispersed.

4. 'John' has a close order Green regiment in a march column charged in flank.  I allowed him to turn to face, making his unit in line, CLEARLY THIS IS WRONG 

Close Order defenders may only Fire or Wheel and Fire.  

Furthermore…. 

(p39) C. Charged in Flank or Rear. If a unit is charged in the flank or rear, it must first take a See the Elephant test. Pass = May only wheel in order (or about face) to oppose the enemy. Fail = immediately apply the result. All supports act the same as the lead unit.

Now in what should have happened yesterday, I should have asked 'John' to wheel towards the charge with his column of march.  This would probably have resulted in 'John’s' column being hit on its front.  So no flank attack, but no line defending either. 

Is that interpretation correct?

5. New players noted with interest that the rules don’t seem to penalise a defending column of march hit in front.  Nor do they penalise a small unit of 3-4 bases charging a large one of at least seven.  

I would think that a Column of March charged frontally should become Unformed AT LEAST?  

There is no outnumbering etc common with other rules.  Can we have the rationale of the thinking behind the rule ommission?  Not a criticism.  Folks would just like an insight into the thinking process.

Finally a few pics....of yesterday's action.

Cheers Kev  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

DCRBrown

General de Division

#1 [url]

Feb 13 17 4:32 PM

Kev,

1. Snipers – Are Snipers like Sharpshooters and skirmishers in that they are removed if actually contacted?

They are in effect skimishers, so can evade as per skirmishers. Yes, if caught they are dispersed.

2. Sniper Line of Sight - Can a Sniper target a General if the Officer is deployed behind a unit?  Rationale for – He’s likely on a horse so able to be seen above his men.  Rationale against – Under battlefield conditions – smoke etc, who knows?  Need a simple KISS ruling.

No - clear line of sight required. (But maybe if behind a prone regiment!)

3. What happens when a Sniper’s Brigade becomes ‘Chewed Up’?  I can’t find this.  I’m thinking he’s highly likely to be removed/dispersed.

Good point! Yes, I'd remove a sniper.

4. 'John' has a close order Green regiment in a march column charged in flank.  I allowed him to turn to face, making his unit in line, CLEARLY THIS IS WRONG 

Close Order defenders may only Fire or Wheel and Fire.  

Furthermore…. 

(p39) C. Charged in Flank or Rear. If a unit is charged in the flank or rear, it must first take a See the Elephant test. Pass = May only wheel in order (or about face) to oppose the enemy. Fail = immediately apply the result. All supports act the same as the lead unit.

Now in what should have happened yesterday, I should have asked 'John' to wheel towards the charge with his column of march.  This would probably have resulted in 'John’s' column being hit on its front.  So no flank attack, but no line defending either. 

Is that interpretation correct? Yes. Also note that there's a -1 modifier if charged in the flank for the STE Test.

5. New players noted with interest that the rules don’t seem to penalise a defending column of march hit in front.  Nor do they penalise a small unit of 3-4 bases charging a large one of at least seven. 
Columns of companies suffer a no fire penalty - so are at an immediate disadvantage - but I take your point, esp. as we didn't come across too many columns getting anywhere near combat - so feel free to impose a -1 modifier or as you state unformed, if you wish.

Outnumbering: That's deliberate - its not about the size of units but about a unit's morale, e.g. the 20th Maine at Gettysburg were pretty small when they charged - but that didn't stop them! I know its a wargame rule maxim but I'm not actually convinced by "outnumbered" modifiers. In combat with the adrenaline flowing, soldiers would be lucky if they could even see the enemy through the smoke and din of battle, let alone accurately assess his numbers! While outnumbering by way of multiple units vs one unit, etc,  the support reroll is the outnumbering modifier by other means.

DB

Last Edited By: DCRBrown Feb 13 17 4:38 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 15 17 10:30 PM

DCRBrown wrote:

Outnumbering: That's deliberate - its not about the size of units but about a unit's morale, e.g. the 20th Maine at Gettysburg were pretty small when they charged - but that didn't stop them! I know its a wargame rule maxim but I'm not actually convinced by "outnumbered" modifiers. In combat with the adrenaline flowing, soldiers would be lucky if they could even see the enemy through the smoke and din of battle, let alone accurately assess his numbers! While outnumbering by way of multiple units vs one unit, etc,  the support reroll is the outnumbering modifier by other means. 

DB

Certainly didn't effect the 1st Minnesota on the 2nd day of Gettysburg either,...
On the morning of July 2, 1863, the First Minnesota, along with the other units of the II Corps, took its position in the center of the Union line on Cemetery Ridge. Late in the day, the Union III Corps, under heavy attack by the Confederate I Corps, collapsed creating a dangerous gap in the Union line. The advancing Confederate brigades were in position to breakthrough and then envelope the Union forces. At that critical moment, the First Minnesota was ordered to attack. Advancing at double time, the Minnesotans charged into the leading Confederate brigade with unbounded fury. Fighting against overwhelming odds, the heroic Minnesotans gained the time necessary for the Union line to reform. But the cost was great. Of the 262 members of the regiment present for duty that morning, only 47 answered the roll that evening. The regiment incurred the highest casualty rate of any unit in the Civil War".
Don Troiani

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help