Remove this ad

Lead

May 22 17 2:10 PM

Tags : :

Hi all, yet another pair of beginners questions, I'm afraid. 
Is there a moment when a brigade, with an assault order against an enemy brigade is classed as having completed its order?
for example, I have a brigade that assaults an enemy brigade as per initial order. The enemy brigade routes or retreats. Does my brigade continue as having the assault order, and continue to move towards the running enemy as per order restrictions, or do they consider the objective complete and revert to hold?
Secondly, if my brigade of 3 units has the assault order against an enemy brigade, but it's commander can only order 1 charge per turn, what do the other 2 units do? According to the assault order restrictions at least one of the other must move at least a half move towards the enemy, but can't move into contact as it's not charging. Or is it similar to the engage order, in so much as once one unit is within musket range range, the other units can halt if they require. Or is the generals limit to declaring charges lifted for the assault order, as it says under assault order rules that once a unit is in position to charge It must attempt to do so.

yours, confused.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 23 17 8:13 AM

Hi, John

Not 100% sure but I guess once an assault order has achieved its objectives it is automatically transformed into a "hold order". The objective can be a physical one ( a hill, a village, etc) or an enemy brigade. If it is an enemy brigade, my understanding is that the rules do not clearly fix when the enemy brigade has been defeated. I am sure that a broken enemy brigade under a brigade morale test qualifies as an achieved objective.  Quite sure an enemy brigade where all its units are retreating or routing ( but not broken due to a very lucky roll in the brigade morale test) should also qualify as an achieved assault order objective.

Regarding your second question, 50% of the units should advance and attempt to charge once in position.  As you have 3 units in your brigade, let s assume 2 units are the 50% and 2 units should try. Your brigadier is a poor one and can only issue one charge order. The other unit should attempt to charge using a D6 roll, where 5 or 6 allow for the charge if an infantry unit. I really do not know about the third unit. It is not obliged to attempt a charge but one could argue that if it is also in position to charge should attempt to do so using a D6 roll.

Best,

Roberto

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 23 17 12:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, but raises a further query -
The way I read the rules is that the d6 roll is for when a brigadier wants to order a unit outside his command range to charge. This unit still counts towards his limit of charges per turn. Am I playing it wrong?

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#3 [url]

May 23 17 2:57 PM

John C,

Is there a moment when a brigade, with an assault order against an enemy brigade is classed as having completed its order? for example, I have a brigade that assaults an enemy brigade as per initial order. The enemy brigade routes or retreats. Does my brigade continue as having the assault order, and continue to move towards the running enemy as per order restrictions, or do they consider the objective complete and revert to hold?
If the brigade objective is an enemy brigade - then the assault order stays in place, (I would suggest for as long as the enemy brigade has not broken, if the brigade breaks then you may decide that the order is complete and revert to Hold). However if the assault order was a terrain objective then as soon as that objective is secured then the brigade reverts to a Hold order.

Secondly, if my brigade of 3 units has the assault order against an enemy brigade, but it's commander can only order 1 charge per turn, what do the other 2 units do?
If within charge reach then roll 1D6 per unit to charge, requiring 5 or 6 to charge if infantry or 4, 5 or 6 if cavalry. (See p65 7.2b). Otherwise any Assault order compliant action except charging.
These die rolls do not count against the brigadiers automatic charge orders.

Hope that helps.

DB

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

May 25 17 7:01 PM

Thank you David. I feel a bit of a clown, I had misinterpreted the bit in the assault order that says a general can order as many permissible charges as he sees fit.
So the ability of the general only dictates how many charges a general can order for the other Brigade orders, I take it?
apologies for being a pain, I'll get there in the end!

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#5 [url]

May 26 17 8:44 AM

J,

Yes, a brigadier on Assault can order as many battalions to charge as he sees fit.

But once he has used his "automatic" charge orders within his respective command radius, he then reverts to the D6 method.

On Engage this is more limited.

DB

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help