Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 5 17 3:36 AM

Tags : :

Having some good fun playing these rules so far. I have been posting some vids on my progess over on my YouTube channel : A Dash of Élan. However, a few questions have sprung up. I don't have my notes, but I will post the ones I remember for now.

1.Multi-unit melee: how are any casulties distributed? For instance, if a lone Russian unit cases three casulties while fightin against two French units, how do you ditribute the casulties on the two French units?

Simple example, but with as many as three units a side in a multi-unit combat, the question has sprung up.

2.Multi-shooting targets: the fire section mentions targeting multiple units, explaing how casulties and mods are applied. Are you ever forced to spread out you shooting, or is it an option?

3. Faltering brigade becomes demoralized: if an already faltering brigade suddenly gets demoralized, is it dispersed and removed from the battle? 

I noted that such is the case when a demoralized brigade is forced to falter afterwords.

4. Does a unit that suffers from both unformed AND lost fire discipline recover BOTH in the next turn if it doesnt move? In otherwords, can a unit recover from both at the same instance?

5. Pg. 49 says that an attacking support unit can move into contact if it is able to do so. Is there a limit to the distance it can travel in order to accomplish this? What if the enemy supporting unit, for instance, is 15cm away? Also, I am assuming the target of the charge could not be contacted, although much closer, due to being out of it's forward moving arc.

That's all for now. ThankThanks for some feedback here.

Kurt

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

DCRBrown

General de Division

#1 [url]

Jun 5 17 9:29 AM

K,

Fantastic videos!Thumbsup

To answer your points:

1.Multi-unit melee: how are any casualties distributed? For instance, if a lone Russian unit cases three casualties while fighting against two French units, how do you distribute the casualties on the two French units?
  • Spread melee casualties out as evenly as possible amougst all units with any left over or odd casualty going on the lead unit.
Multi-shooting targets: the fire section mentions targeting multiple units, explaining how casualties and mods are applied. Are you ever forced to spread out you shooting, or is it an option?
  • Not specifically, but occasionally for example a line could be opposed by two columns directly to its front and at the same distance - so in that example you would spread you casualties out equally between the two targets.
Faltering brigade becomes demoralized: if an already faltering brigade suddenly gets demoralized, is it dispersed and removed from the battle?
  • Yes, as soon as a demoralized brigade Falters it will disperse. See p34 & 86. So this could mean that a faltering brigade that receives a Retire result and loses another unit that takes it below 50% will, in fact, disperse.
4. Does a unit that suffers from both unformed AND lost fire discipline recover BOTH in the next turn if it doesn't move? In otherwords, can a unit recover from both at the same instance?
  • Yes. (The act of reforming means the officers and NCO's have got a grip back on their men and brought them into good order, hence Fire Discipline is recovered as well.)
Pg. 49 says that an attacking support unit can move into contact if it is able to do so. Is there a limit to the distance it can travel in order to accomplish this? What if the enemy supporting unit, for instance, is 15cm away? Also, I am assuming the target of the charge could not be contacted, although much closer, due to being out of it's forward moving arc.
  • An attacking support can move into contact with the declared target unit, (so not a support), if the target was within the full charge move distance at the starting point of the charge. For your support to charge into melee with an opposing support would require a separate charge to be declared and would no longer be classed as supporting.
DB

Last Edited By: DCRBrown Jun 5 17 9:31 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 5 17 4:03 PM

Thanks, David. So far so good. I am still a little confused on the last question - I don't think I worded it properly. Leme try again.

​At the bottom of pg. 49, under 'Closing to Meee', it says: "Flank supports will also close to melee only if they can actually reach and contact either the lead defending unit or a defending support unit'. If the support unit in this case can't contact the main target of the charge without wheeling, can it instead move straight ahead to contact with a defending support, even if such a defender is 15cm away? What are the limits reagarding 'moving to contact' of an attacking support unit? I am also assuming here that the term 'support unit' here refers to just that, a non-charging unit that is supporting a charge instead. Am I missing something here?

THanks again.

Kurt

Last Edited By: kurtusbrown Jun 5 17 4:26 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#3 [url]

Jun 6 17 9:08 AM

K,

I think that was my bad!

Yes, your flank support can close to melee with an opposing flank support if they are basically lined up against each other and the two flank supports where within charge reach of each other at the beginning of the charge move. (So, in your Pt9 video those French Dragoons as a flank support could close with the cossacks, as the dragoons were clearly within charge reach of the cossacks at the start of the charge and they are both directly opposing each other, so no need for any manoeuvre or such like to enable then to close into contact.)

DB  

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 6 17 2:48 PM

Excellent. THat is exactly what I was wondering. Thanks again, DB. I'll be posting a couple 'combined' vids from the series that will include some of this Q&A. I know I was goofing with the skirmish fire, hitting on a 4+, as opposed tpo a 5+. Seemed to have gotten confused on that one.

​Thanks again. Really enjoying this set of rules!

​Kurt.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help