Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 8 17 12:43 PM

Tags : :

Hey all,

Q1)
Bit of a silly question, but I'm curious. I use 10mm scale figures, mounted on 30mm x 20mm bases. Mounting at 8 per base on a 4-base battalion, at a 1:20 ratio, they reach at roughly 640 men (ie Standard size for GdA, Over the Hills and Lasalle rulesets.) My cavalry are mounted likewise on the same base size, but at 3 per base (due to space used), and on a 1:20 ratio, they reach at 240 troops, at a 1:30 ratio they reach 360 troops.

In General d'Armée, would these 4 bases of cavalry (ie same footprint as a 640man battalion) count as a Standard or Small regiment? If the cavalry regiment adopts a Line formation, would a 6 base "Standard" size regiment (and therefore 8 or 12 base "Large" regiment) have a noticeable advantage or disadvantage when charging due to the higher amount of space being occupied on the tabletop?

Q2)
In General d'Armée, I also noticed that unit quality goes directly from Line to Rookie - in the case of Westphalian troops would they be considered as Rookies, or should they adopt a Line + Reservists special rule?

Many thanks in advance,

Leon
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 8 17 10:06 PM

FWIW, it doesn't really matter as long as both armies are based the same. All my 18mm AB figures are based for Field of Glory Napoleonics on 40mm x 30mm bases; infantry in two ranks and Cavalry in one on a base. For GdA, I've used both 3/2/1 and 4/3/2 bases to represent large/standard/small units and both work perfectly well.

The reservists category optional rule works really well for 2nd rate troops ... as does the enthusiastic Recruits or Grenadier optional rules. By using the optional grading rules you can use 7 troop grades: elite, veteran, Grenadier, line, reservists, Enthusiastic Recruits and Recruits. 

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#3 [url]

Jun 9 17 9:16 AM

L,

Just as an example to compare to your Westphalians I rate my "glorious" 1813 Saxons as the following:

Saxon Grade du Corps/Cuirassiers = Elite or Veteran. (The Saxons best arm.)
Saxon Guard Grenadiers = Veteran.
Saxon Grenadiers & Light Infantry = Line
Saxon Line = Reservists.
Saxon Artillery = Line or Reservists.

DB

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 11 17 10:54 PM

Hi all

I don't have these rules as of yet, I have two questions

Do i need to re base my figures that i have for General d'brigade?

Will General d'brigade still be supported into the future?

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#5 [url]

Jun 12 17 4:34 PM

AC,

A quick reply.

Do i need to re base my figures that i have for General d'brigade?
No rebasing is required.

Will General d'brigade still be supported into the future?
Yes, of course. GdeB and GdA are two separate rule systems - and both will be maintained.

DB

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help