Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 8 17 1:44 PM

Tags : :

Hi all, 
how do you physically deploy skirmishers bases? Is it the same as open order troops, I.e. half to a full base space between bases?

Thanks in advance.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 9 17 1:01 AM

Hi John,
I deploy my skirmishers a full base apart in single rank and open order half base width in double rank.
I am fortunate that all of my 28mm figures are individually based on thin metal (20mm x 20mm + 15mm x 20mm). So, I have made many skirmish, open order and close order magnetic formation stands to give me maximum flexibility.
Cheers,
Rod

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#3 [url]

Jun 10 17 8:29 AM

J,

If you are deploying skirmishers with normal bases of troops (i.e. bases taken from your battalions) then, yes deploy them spaced out.

But if you have specifically designed skirmish bases then these do not need to be spaced out and can line up with each base touching.

DB

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jun 11 17 11:40 AM

Thanks David, can I be a bit of a pain though and put this to you? .....

My (British) infantry are based in 6's, two ranks of 3, 12mm frontage per figure, giving a frontage of 36mm per 3 figs close order.
If I form them up into open order, with a space between them of half base to a full base (page 24, point 6) that gives an effective frontage of 54-72mm per 3 figs.
If I use my purpose based skirmishers (15mm per figure) with no spaces between bases that gives an effective frontage of 45mm per 3 figs.

Page 24 states that open order troops were "nonetheless significantly closer together than units deployed in skirmish order." But the above frontages don't tally with that statement.

Am I missing something, given that I'm not very experienced with the period?

Thanks in advance.

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#5 [url]

Jun 15 17 10:23 AM

J,

That's a good spot.

To keep it simple use: Open Order bases should be deployed half a base width apart, (which brings it more into line with skimish bases).

DB

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 15 17 12:57 PM

Thanks again David, at least I'm getting a bit more confident that I'm reading and understanding things correctly!

john.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help