Tags : :
A couple of years back (2012), one of the lads had a big idea: Let’s do Waterloo for 2015! It was enticing, gentle reader, almost seductive... I am sure the ingredients would sound familiar to many of you. A game of sufficient magnitude to attract the megalomaniacs in all of us; aligned to significant aspects of our existing collections; enough of us to manage the whole battle; and far enough away for us to plug the gaps in the three armies’ orbats. It started well, orbats divvied up, and enough of us committed to cover it all. The start was exciting, there was talk of venues, sponsorship, movie rights – even rumours of a sequel. Where this ends is another tale, filled with anticipation, hope, courage, endurance, and perhaps a hint of tragedy. Perhaps that sounds familiar to you also? My allocation included a new army for me to commence: British. Or more precisely, an Anglo-Hanoverian Division from 1815. Graf von Alten’s 3rd Division, encompassing British, KGL, and Hanoverian infantry brigades, plus some nearby cavalry.
I got a fast start on the British 5th Brigade, when one of the lads passed onto me 3 battalions of British figures he had picked up from a painting service. They weren’t quite to my style, and the facing colours were different to those I needed; so I gave them a bit of a makeover to get the facings right, and align the style with the other units in my collection before basing them.
This is the 2/30th Cambridgeshire Foot, which was the first repainted unit I tackled. Yellow facings, officers’ facings unlaced. AB Miniatures. The 30th was sufficiently reduced by casualties and the detachment of the light company that it was combined with the 73rd during the battle (Adkins).
I gave some attention to the jackets. I have read here and in many other places that the red jackets of the British soldier was not a bright poppy red, and that “Stroud water scarlet” was closer to brown than scarlet. The officers and SNCO jackets were of a better cloth, and a brighter red, so I wanted to distinguish the two. I originally left these jackets largely as they came to me, which is more red than I would like. I have tried to provide some shading with a dark red-brown (over the original black undercoat), and gave it a brown wash. With each subsequent unit I became a little more courageous with the brown. By the end, I base coated the OR jackets in a dark red-brown, and then dry-brushed a flat red over it, before giving it a brown wash. Officers’ jackets were based coated in red, dry-brushed vermillion. But for this unit, the makeover on the jackets was limited to trying to cover the black shading and going over it all with a brown wash.
I had read that British drummers had worn reversed colours for their jackets until 1812, after which they wore red jackets piped with the regimental lace. That is how I have depicted this drummer, although I was subsequently advised (here on this forum) that jackets in the facing colour were also worn at Waterloo. For this brigade, I have done both. This drummer was repainted from his original coloured jacket.
Last Edited By: Beresford Feb 2 15 8:38 AM. Edited 2 times