Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 2 15 8:35 AM

Tags : :

Team,

A couple of years back (2012), one of the lads had a big idea: Let’s do Waterloo for 2015!  It was enticing, gentle reader, almost seductive...  I am sure the ingredients would sound familiar to many of you.  A game of sufficient magnitude to attract the megalomaniacs in all of us; aligned to significant aspects of our existing collections; enough of us to manage the whole battle; and far enough away for us to plug the gaps in the three armies’ orbats.  It started well, orbats divvied up, and enough of us committed to cover it all.  The start was exciting, there was talk of venues, sponsorship, movie rights – even rumours of a sequel.  Where this ends is another tale, filled with anticipation, hope, courage, endurance, and perhaps a hint of tragedy.  Perhaps that sounds familiar to you also?  My allocation included a new army for me to commence: British.  Or more precisely, an Anglo-Hanoverian Division from 1815.  Graf von Alten’s 3rd Division, encompassing British, KGL, and Hanoverian infantry brigades, plus some nearby cavalry.  

I got a fast start on the British 5th Brigade, when one of the lads passed onto me 3 battalions of British figures he had picked up from a painting service.  They weren’t quite to my style, and the facing colours were different to those I needed; so I gave them a bit of a makeover to get the facings right, and align the style with the other units in my collection before basing them.

e3d16e8baf0cc7d541f13bb482ca0ff6819943f3

This is the 2/30th Cambridgeshire Foot, which was the first repainted unit I tackled.  Yellow facings, officers’ facings unlaced.  AB Miniatures.  The 30th was sufficiently reduced by casualties and the detachment of the light company that it was combined with the 73rd during the battle (Adkins).

6f9261a83fae60a5c9ad1746b3e6f60527a6900d

I gave some attention to the jackets.  I have read here and in many other places that the red jackets of the British soldier was not a bright poppy red, and that “Stroud water scarlet” was closer to brown than scarlet.  The officers and SNCO jackets were of a better cloth, and a brighter red, so I wanted to distinguish the two.  I originally left these jackets largely as they came to me, which is more red than I would like.  I have tried to provide some shading with a dark red-brown (over the original black undercoat), and gave it a brown wash.  With each subsequent unit I became a little more courageous with the brown.  By the end, I base coated the OR jackets in a dark red-brown, and then dry-brushed a flat red over it, before giving it a brown wash.  Officers’ jackets were based coated in red, dry-brushed vermillion.  But for this unit, the makeover on the jackets was limited to trying to cover the black shading and going over it all with a brown wash.

47f3671f8986adcc018bc9f1d59b42504be9e6a3

I had read that British drummers had worn reversed colours for their jackets until 1812, after which they wore red jackets piped with the regimental lace.  That is how I have depicted this drummer, although I was subsequently advised (here on this forum) that jackets in the facing colour were also worn at Waterloo.  For this brigade, I have done both.  This drummer was repainted from his original coloured jacket.

Cheers,
Beresford

Last Edited By: Beresford Feb 2 15 8:38 AM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 2 15 9:52 AM

That's a brilliant start to an ambitious project Beresford, with lots of fine painting and basing already on show.  Best of luck with the remaining units! image

Bryce Allen

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 3 15 10:24 PM

Gentlemen,
thank you for your kind words. Your encouragement is warmly appreciated, not least because of the magnificent work that you have each shared here on this forum.

Carlo, quite right that there may be a few of these popping up around the place. Although surprisingly not as much a showing of it at Cancon as I had imagined there might be (2 x 28mm games of La Haye Sainte (Black Powder and Sharp Practice), and 2mm(!) game of Ligny using something without dice I did not recognise.)

I am reading Barberro's book at present, and am quite surprised at how much I am enjoying it.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 5 15 10:15 AM

That's a pretty interesting observation Craig. The games I saw were very nice and I was quite captured by Mike Parkers MDF La Haye Sainte as well as the smaller scale though I must admit I thought it was 6 mm. Looked great, though like you, I truly expected to see a massive Waterloo. However I was told by a few Canberran friends that the demo games were given, allegedly, shirt shrift with only smaller sized tables promised and being moved into the smaller hall against their desires and requests. Difficult task of organising and coordinating traders and gamers one suspects. I am about to start my countdown for the game I am organising for the bicentennial. Two 12 x 6 foot boards parallel with 28 mm figures representing D'Erlons attack. Hopefully eight players. Wish me luck!! Cheers Carlo

Quote    Reply   

Rudorff

Brigadier

#8 [url]

Feb 5 15 5:14 PM

Hi Carlo,

Try and match the gamer's temperament to the command you give them. The only choice allowed should be French or the Good Guys smiley: eek  

Cheers, Gary

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 8 15 1:25 AM

British 3rd Division 1815

Thanks lads,

Fortunately, we progress.  As you know Mr Baxter, we have neither time nor room for recriminations at our table.  Besides, we never agreed when in 2015 we would stage a game.  There is still time yet.  And given that you have the entire Imperial Guard, and a cavalry corps, I have VI Corps, and between you and JP we could pull of at least I or II Corps, we are not far off having the French army.  I’ve got enough Prussians to accommodate our needs, and you and JP have 3 Divisions of Brits between you.  So we just need more Dutch Hanoverian, and Nassau troops and some British cavalry to get the orbats complete.

Carlo, I agree, the games at Cancon did look spectacular.  I got roped into a SYW siege game for a time, alongside the Ligny game (perhaps it was 6mm after all).  I suspect that the deep Napoleonic enthusiasts who would attempt a full scale Waterloo might eschew a broad church event like Cancon.  Or they were playing in the tournament!  Good Luck with your game!

0c936dab8186a5d5064fcb9cd8274658efdcf9e6

2c916b86a70cc9dc448fd491bada6c2748d58160

This is 33rd Yorkshire (West Riding) Foot.  Red facings, officers with silver lace.  I used a brighter 

red to distinguish the facings from the jackets.  Flags by GMB.  This unit had not seen action since returning from India 4 years earlier.  Due to casualties (it was badly shaken at Quatre-Bras), it was combined with the 2/69th when forming square (Adkins).

I experimented with different colours for pack straps.  White leather doesn’t stay white for long, and soldiers do not polish what they do not need to.  For that reason, I wanted a different colour to the white leather of the cartridge and bayonet belts.  I tried pale grey, and buff, and you may see all of those here; but I have settled for stone-grey.

55516184ae0bcddb450640e1199fa962bf475101

For the haversacks, my Osprey and a few other sources suggested that a sandy colour was appropriate.  The water-bottles are a blue-grey, and scabbards black.  Cartridge boxes are in gloss black to give them a more cared-for appearance.

I admit to being initially a bit reserved about doing a unit with red facings on a red jacket, but I don't mind how they turned out.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 17 15 11:29 PM

Of course, in putting together a brigade, an artillery battery is needed.  I am told that these figures are very similar to the Peninsular British range, which I am unfamiliar with.  I was quite pleased with the level of detail in the sculpts, and in particular the animation of the crews moving the piece.  The faces are not quite what I would have expected, but they were enjoyable figures to paint, nonetheless. This is Captain Lloyd's Battery, RA.

2bf1648aa504cad44ecd62037b45b45120896618

3c33693d8a76a8dd0c79ce28dbb145b11c019437

And every battery needs a limber.  I use four horse limbers for my foot batteries, as I feel the footprint with a six horse limber is too disproportionate in a game scale sense.  I use six horse limbers on Horse batteries, to reflect the larger footprint they would have on the move.  I have added marching figures to represent the crew who would trudge alongside the piece as it moved.  I think it gives the model an additional dimension.  I would add traces, if I were skilled enough, or could think of a clever way to do it.  A colleague uses two strands of fuse wire twisted together, then delicately glued in place.  I am not sure I have the patience of technique to pull that off successfully.  If anyone had any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

7a11618fad06c0db4b175aeca6397a1fd755ec7d

Is anyone else building up a new force for 2015?

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Feb 25 15 11:14 PM

3rd British Division 1815

This is the 2/69th South Lincolnshire Foot.  Light green facings, gold lace.  This was the third of the three British battalions at Waterloo which had not seen service in the Peninsula.  The other two were the 2/14th, and the 33rd with whom it was brigaded.  This unit lost its King’s colour at Quatre-Bras on the 16th, and I was tempted to give them only one flag, but plumped for two to cover the campaign.  Due to casualties suffered, they needed to combine with the 33rd when forming square.

28416f83a90fc3d140de2b57d819eb57d0a37cb4

Again, these are AB figures which I have repainted.  You will notice that I am using the brown a lot more heavily in doing the jackets.  I think these are looking less scarlet than the previous two units did.  By now I was starting to get into the British line uniforms, and some of the detail around command figures like the drummer, and sergeant.  For this unit I opted for the reverse coloured jacket.  The GMB flags are lovely.  The second picture also gives you a sense of how I am addressing the kit each soldier carried.  

47a16784ab0cc6dc46d1dbdef85d3f5c28d3c135e0c16e85a50ccfdd420f5270724eebf677f8d997

And for the kit straps I have selected a colours that would contrast with the white leather belts (and less likely to be inspected).  Notwithstanding that these were painted over, I think the faces have still turned out reasonably well.

a3716285a404c9dd46435ac42f5c797aafe1fb35

Only one more unit to go to complete the brigade.  I've enjoyed doing this formation, and sharing it with you lads.  Thanks.  I hope you are too.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 26 15 11:49 PM

Stunning units Craig!!!

British in 18mm are not the easiest chaps to paint to a well detailed standard and your troops came out great especially as they are over painted to get the overall effect.
Cheers
Paul

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 6 15 10:53 PM

I quite liked the appearance the firing line the figures in the 2/69th created, which looked more appropriate for the defensive role they played at Waterloo.  It got me thinking about how I would do the next battalion, for which I had yet to acquire the figures.  Since being a boy I was captivated by Felix Phillipoteaux’s painting of the 79th in square, and also Lady Butler’s of the 28th.  The AB range of kneeling figures fit the bill.

d1c16b85a600c2d741198129986f59e91a66f64a

I made the bases deeper to accommodate the protruding muskets, and flocked it as per usual.  But the Phillipoteaux scene of the flattened wheat intrigued me, as did Adkin’s description of the crops that stood as tall as a man.  I thought I would try something a bit different for this unit, and for the skirmishers, which were able to stand concealed among the crops.  I think the concept is clear, it’s just whether this is the best way to depict it.  Feedback would be welcome.  If anyone has a better idea that does not involve skinning a teddy bear, I’d love to hear it.

1c33659d8080ac1a0689c750d1ae4c4f9490964a

2/73rd Perthshire

This is the 2/73rd Perthshire Foot.  Blue-Green facings, gold lace.  A “Highland” regiment, it was unkilted, and recruited heavily from Nottingham.  In addition to Peninsula service, it saw action in Saxony 1814 as part of Wallmoden’s Corps, alongside KGL and Hanoverian troops.

I painted this unit from scratch, and I think teh more ambitious use of brown in depicting the jackets of the British troops is more evident.  I'm satisfied with the result.

0d62695876a820a1cb0d7540d19eb3b3e0a17982

Cheers,
Beresford

Last Edited By: Beresford Mar 6 15 10:56 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Mar 14 15 12:27 AM

Team,

this is the Brigade skirmish screen, comprised of Light companies and one line company from each battalion.  Arranged in two ranks for photographic purposes only.  Commanded by Major Vigoreux from 2/30th (striking a suitable heroic pose on the base at the right rear).   Apparently the screen was pretty badly cut up when the brigade skirmish screen was caught by the French cavalry accompanying D’Erlon’s Corps, and then again during the afternoon charges (Barberro). 

41b26328c9a1200cc97d714186270d55630b0f73

I didn’t mind how the crops looked on the 73rd, so I thought about giving the skirmishers a similar treatment.  Both Adkins and Barberro make mention of the fact that the crops were as tall as a man, allowing skirmishers to approach each other’s lines at reasonably close quarters.  So when basing these chaps, I gave them something of that effect, without trying to lose them in a dense mat of straw.

4d7264e8fca2504bc9ad97455812ffaf4794cd76

Brigade Commander, Major General Colin Halkett.  Accompanied by officers from the 30th and (rather disapproving looking) 69th Foot, and a ranker from the 73rd.  The by-now ubiquitous flattened wheat looking somewhat flatter on this base.  Halkett was one of the two officers originally charged with raising the King's German Legion.  He subsequently commanded the 2nd KGL Light Battalion in the Peninsular, and which was also part of Von Alten's 3rd Division, and posted in La Haye Sainte.  Halkett was wounded 4 times during the battle.  His brother Hew commanded a Hanoverian militia brigade posted initially behind Hougomont (which later captured Cambronne).

616262a8e3a160d2c1ddde4f412b51cd65bcd7ab

And of course we need some casualty markers.

b3116d8da602c3d74138afda36156104443d85b4

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 1 15 2:51 AM

Thank you gentlemen, for your kind words.  As requested by Greystreak, here are a few photos of the whole Brigade deployed.  

df33638186d7af970282cb49d25140c604fe6940

As mentioned previously, 5 Bde was part of Graf von Alten’s 3rd Division, which arrived at Quatre Bras at 5.30pm, deploying west of Quatre Bras.  They quickly came under fire from French horse batteries, which demounted two guns from Lloyd’s battery and caused it to retire.  Canister fire also caused the 33rd to falter and retire to cover in Bossu wood.  The brigade managed to fend of some cavalry charges, although the 69th had its square broken and lost it’s King’s Colour.  Apparently this prompted the 73rd to seek cover also in the Bossu Wood.  (http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/BATTLE_OF_QUATRE_BRAS.html)

At Waterloo the 3rd Division was assigned to holding the centre of the Anglo-Allied line.  5 Brigade was posted to the right rear of La Haye Sainte, just behind the crest of the Mont St Jean ridge for most of the battle.  The brigade skirmish screen was deployed forward during the initial bombardment, and then got cut up badly when the cavalry came forward in support of D’Erlon’s initial attack.  The Brigade spent much of the afternoon at Waterloo in two combined squares (30th/73rd & 33rd/69th).  The square of the 33rd/69th got broken into by cuirassiers during the afternoon, and became unformed, with troops retiring, but was saved from destruction by the timely arrival of the Life Guards.  It then resumed its position. (http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/c_2-69Waterloo.html)

Ideally, I would have them behind the crest of a low ridge, in squares with lots of dead cavalrymen around them, and flattened wheat everywhere, but unfortunately my terrain collection does not yet extend that far. 

In this series of photos, I have them deploying defensively forward of a small hamlet, astride a road.  The skirmish screen pushes forward through the fields, as the two lead battalions (69th & 73rd) deploy in line either side of the road. 

80226878b0a930ebca6d594d10a3ba336cd816e4

A supporting battery deploys to the left flank alongside the 73rd to cover the front of the Brigade. 

6ec16384a409c6df4b7f7b8eb6673110ea03008ad4016b8daa0fcdda4be81a7a7500327ca7be8d41

2cb26b0816a96036c2cd504de8e785512d5d9280

The brigade commander sends forward the two supporting battalions, the first (30th) deploying in a supporting position behind the 69th to provide depth to the position. 

2dd262c827aba089c9add343fed4492d9d8b86a6abf36a668d33ac580aa0cddfd3c24112b96d8073

The fourth battalion (33rd) pushes forward down the road, with the Brigade commander, Halkett in the lead.

7d726e7808ac5072ccbd684a935c304d14cab6c7

I hope you like the look of these. Next up will be the 2nd KGL Brigade.

Now if I can just manage a game...smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help