Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 1 15 8:45 AM

Your 5th Brigade looks a 'crack' unit (regardless of actual battlefield performance), and the terrain and 'backdrop' look superb! image

As you say, all you need now is a game!

Bryce Allen

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jul 4 15 5:58 AM

British 3rd Division 1815

So, it has been a little while, but I now have some time to add a few more pictures of my British 3rd Division as it nears completion.

The next brigade to share is the 2nd KGL Brigade.  This Brigade under Colonel Ompteda had the responsibility of holding the centre of the Anglo-Allied line, and in particular the La Haye Sainte farm complex.  It comprised the 1st and 2nd KGL Light Infantry battalions, and the 5th and 8th KGL Line battalions.  All four of these had seen action in the peninsula, and were quite experienced.  They had however been reduced in numbers, and stripped of two companies each in order to provide cadre for the fledgling Hanoverian army.  They saw action at Quatre Bras on the 16th, although were not as badly mauled as the British 5th Brigade, as I have described.

The first unit to share is the 1st KGL Light Infantry Battalion.
b07cdf446e0245adbf6d3ff7024ab9ed_r.jpg

The 1st KGL LI was dressed in the dark green uniforms in British line pattern and stovepipe shako, as had been initially issued to the King's German Regiment in 1803 when first raised (apologies if I have got the year incorrect).  Kit was otherwise as for British units.  This unit was stationed to the rear of La Haye Sainte during the battle, although companies were detached to assist more directly in the defence of the farm during the battle.

I admit to having painted this unit ahead of the British brigade I have shared previously.  These figures are ABs.  I have used a black wash over a dark green to get the dark green -almost black -look for British Rifle troops.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Jul 4 15 7:00 AM

Really nice Craig, The drummer adds that wee bit of colour needed in a dark uniformed battalion. Great to see your still squirrelling away with your units!

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Aug 25 15 7:27 AM

After some weeks, I've managed to get a couple of better photos of 1 KGL Light Infantry.  I have used Peninsula British light infantry figures to depict them.  Dressed from stocks of the original dark green uniform provided to the King's German Regiment, with British equipment.  They saw extensive service in the Peninsula, as well as Ireland, and the Danish expedition.  

8463661f8937af58091ccba7df364c7ac64e17f83233616d8c89a73a065ac3cad77246c920e3ca19

In 1815 the unit was engaged at Quatre Bras, and at Waterloo remained in the main position on the ridge above La Haye Sainte for much of the battle.  They had detached a couple of skirmish companies to assist in the defence of the orchard at La Haye Sainte at the commencement of the battle, They later provided reinforcements to the beleagured 2nd KGL Li as they became hard pressed.  Equipped largely with muskets rather than the Baker rifle, they were unable to provide any replenishment of the ammunition stores for the LHS garrison. 

Of course, I have provided some duplicate skirmish bases, these fellows defending the orchard on the south end of La Haye Sinate early in the day.
72816b8da106c6db4af303fc2f1b81d1f17148ff9a736d058a9ea1840d35c305dda84cdca6fd0e97

Hope that was worth the wait.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Sep 1 15 10:18 AM

Next up are the two line battalions from the 2nd KGL Brigade: 5th and 8th KGL.  I constructed these units a couple of years back when we kicked off the

Waterloo project, just ahead of Tonty Barton releasing his Waterloo range of British figures.  I used Eureka Miniatures 1815 range, and was very happy with the figures.  Paints are Vallejo, over a black primer.  The jackets are Hull Red, dry brushed Flat Red, washed with brown. trousers are neutral grey, washed black.

The first unit is the 5th Bn KGL.  This unit was positioned on the ridge behind La Haye Sainte, below the crossroads.  Late in the day it was ordered forward by the Corps commander, HRH Prince of Orange, to relieve the pressure on La Haye Sainte being applied by the assaulting French infantry.  The battalion was at that time formed in line (possibly to reduce the impact of the French artillery fire).  Concern over the proximity of French cavalry, induced the protests of the brigade commander, Colonel Ompteda, who was duly overridden by Orange.  Ompteda then lead the battalion forward in line, which was subsequently charged by French Cuirassiers who had been concealed in some dead ground.  The battalion was destroyed, and the remnants routed.  Ompteda was shot from his horse and killed after being surrounded by French infantry to whom he refused to surrender.
d7626a882aa4f0eacd3dc24234aeb94f6e5f448c
For this unit I again had in mind the idea of a British square at Quatre Bras, and Eureka had a nice mix of covered shakos and kneeling troops, as well as a wide range of figures in firing/loading poses.  Indeed the kneeling figure with his head turned seems to have been inspired by the same painting of the 28th Foot at Quatre Bras.  The colour bearers have a solid cast flag, which is great for moulding to your desired shape, but tricky to get into an upright position.  And that's if you are of course able to paint a very clever Union Jack, and regimental colour.  Which of course, I can't.

Of course, I had to do the light company on  skirmish base.
66a16b8cae07cbd4431a4bfa6c222ede1a5e0540442264486daba0aac5bdc54e22dbb5d8ffe088df

The next battalion s the 8th Battalion KGL.  Their battle was much the same.  Having taken some casualties at Quatre Bras, and been subjected to cannonade and cavarly attacks, they did the same at Waterloo, avoiding the destruction of the 5th, and sheltering some of the survivors.  I used the Eureka Miniatures marching figures for this battalion.
6903668e8421af9f076cc3bbd7e548ae467088021c616882ab06c5d54d437ab6230f994fa2262f6c
You can see from the reverse angle photo that I have used a variety of pale colours other than white for depicting the straps on the back pack, and a light tan colour for the bread bag.  I should go back and put a wash over those water bottles by the look of it.  I think that given the amount of white you get on the uniform already, with the cross belts and musket sling; anything you can do to soften the visual impact of stark white on everything helps get away from the "toy soldier" appearance.  Drummers I have done in a red jacket, with dark blue chevrons piped white.  Sergeant's stripes are white against a dark blue background.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Sep 10 15 9:58 AM

Lads,

Thanks for the kind comments.  I am encouraged to keep going….

So obviously no discussion of the British (Anglo-Hanoverian) Division at Waterloo can be complete without the 2nd KGL Light Infantry.  Ably commanded by Major Georg Baring.  2KGL LI shared the same heritage as 1KGL LI, save that they were also involved in a shipwreck in the Baltic during the Danish expedition.  Consequently much of the Regiment and its stores were lost and had to be replaced.  They gave good service in the Peninsula, and Ireland, and were in the process of being demobilised when the Hundred Days Campaign commenced.  They were reduced by 2 companies to form the cadre for Hanoverian units in the process of being constructed following the liberation of Hanover at the commencement of the campaign, and saw some action late in the day at Quatre Bras.  They were a part of the picquet line for the Anglo-Allied Army on the evening of the 17th, and garrisoned La Haye Sainte  – allegedly using the inner barns doors for firewood.  Note to self...

d8a1648cae0cc1d5407267d4149803fe08f27e99eb7263584bac5050c7fd864e030485dea9fe0d82

The unit was uniformed from stocks of Rifle Regiment uniforms, and were also equipped with the Baker Rifle, rather than the standard New Land Pattern musket as other KGL battalions were.  This became an issue when they ran out of ammunition during the 18th of June, and could not be resupplied by the other battalions in the Brigade.  As such they only had 60 rounds per man for the duration of the battle (Simms, The Longest Afternoon).

42416a83ad03cdd7420df98558d582a8475bb462

At the start of the battle they had a company deployed in the kitchen garden at the rear of LHS to defend that quarter, and maintain contact with the remainder of the Brigade on the ridge behind.

be6267c8d6a670e1cc3d954abf88f130300499d9

2 companies were posted inside the main courtyard.

88b362e785fca6e102fbcb2ed1e84efe2e571b38

And three companies were posted in the orchard facing the French.  Baring positioned himself there at the commencement of the battle.  As we know, the farm was eventually overrun by the French later in the day, after the garrison had exhausted their ammunition.  Some were captured, and some were slain as the french stormed the farmhouse and barns.  Baring managed to extricate a small band that only numbered 42 at the end of the battle of the original 400.

bd72609892a5f03aca9d6e4a6e522d0829460d7f

I have used AB Miniatures for this unit, from the Peninsular British range.  The figures are Riflemen, painted with Vallejo Acrylics, and a variety of Citadel washes to achieve the sufficiently dark Green for which Rifle units were noted.  La Haye Sainte is depicted using an excellent model from Stephen Frampton at Tiger Terrain.  I elected to use a palette for the buildings and walls to model a more weathered farm than a freshly white-washed style. Baxterj generously gave me the hedges (say hello to him at Colours this weekend!), and the trees in the orchard are Heller, I think.  

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#33 [url]

Sep 26 15 5:42 AM

Colonel Christian Ompteda, and Cleeves Battery KGLFA

Thanks Carlo, I am glad that you are enjoying it.  The final piece for the 2nd KGL Brigade is the supporting artillery, and the commander.

1st Foot Battery King’s German Legion Field Artillery.  The KGLFA was established in 1805 along with the initial battalions and cavalry regiment.  The artillery saw action in the Peninsula and southern France between 1809-1814.  Mobilised again in 1815, 1st foot battery, under Captain Cleeves was attached to von Alten’s 3rd Division, and saw action at Quatre Bras.  It was positioned 500m west of the Genappe Road, in the front line of the Anglo-Allied position, on the Ohain road.  It was one of the batteries that later claied to have fired the first shots at the French that day – firing upon D’Erlon’s columns as they crossed the valley on their way to assault the Allied line.  They were later involved in the defence against the cavalry attacks in the afternoon, and the assault of the Imperial Guard.

2882682801a6a0e6c81d0b4fa3cd6262a8d0c1c852f16a8fa906cad1436c0bad9fc3dc9b3a7ef13c

Uniforms for these troops are as for RA.  Dark blue jackets, faced red, piped yellow, over grey overalls.  Belgic shako, with white plume and cords.  White belts and equipment.  A length of fuse cord is also sluing over the uppermost belt supporting the white cartridge pouch.

b1316885a908cbdc42d5f4c147046965b220e0ef

I have used AB figures, from the 1815 range.  I quite like the variety of figures in this set, and the animation.  It lends itself well to depiction of a "battery in action".  Dark Prussian Blue (dark blue wash) for the jackets, and neutral grey (black wash) for the overalls.  Belts are off-white.

I have also done the limber, as per previously.  I quite like the vignette created by having the crew alongside the limber.  I have used British line infantry in Belgic shakoes for the crew.  For foot artillery I only use 2 pairs of horses, to keep the depth within reason.  For horse artillery I use 3 pairs, to accommodate both the mounted crew that would have been accompanying, as well as the longer footprint it would create in movement than a foot battery.  I still havenot been able to achieve the traces yet smiley: frown.

74a26e58a3a49051c34dba42339ba5145ae08168

The commander of the 2nd KGL Brigade was Colonel Christian Ompteda.  At the age of 16 he became a lieutenant in the Hanoverian Foot Guards, having been a member of the Royal Corps of Pages since the age of 12.  From the age of 29 he commanded a company of grenadiers during the French Revolutionary Wars.  He was promoted to major in the Hanoverian Guards in 1805 shortly before the dissolution of the Hanoverian Army.  He promptly fled to England to be among the first to join the King’s German legion.  He was involved in the expedition to Northern Germany in 1805, garrison at Gibraltar in 1806, and expedition to Denmark in 1807.  He was captured after his ship sank on the return from Denmark, but exchanged the following year.  From 1812 he commanded the 1st KGL Light Battalion in the Peninsular, which was subsequently part of his brigade at Waterloo.

83a16f83a406c2d64fb21842e25f2a9631565116ff816a81a90cc0dc423ca831e4eb4f14354f7190

At Waterloo he commanded the brigade with responsibility for the centre of the Anglo-Allied line, including the defence of La Haye Sainte.  As La Haye Sainte was being overrun, he was ordered to retake it by his divisional commander von Alten.  He protested that the proximity of French cavalry was too dangerous.  He was overruled by Prince William of Orange, the Corps commander.  Chastened, he lead forward the 5th KGL Line battalion, which was promptly charged in the flank and rear by cuirassiers that had been concealed nearby in dead ground.  The battalion was destroyed, losing both its colours, with only 19 survivors regaining the Allied position.  Ompteda was encircled and shot dead at close range after refusing to surrender.

c6c3603a8655aada03abc77dd003498ff94a0638

I have modelled Colonel Ompteda as he may have appeared at Waterloo.  Accompanying him are an aide in KGL uniform, and attended by a soldier also in KGL Line uniform.  Also with them is an officer from 2 KGL LI, having delivered a note to Ompteda which he holds.  I thought it suitable to show him receiving one of the requests from Major Baring for ammunition resupply for the garrison at La Haye Sainte.  Unfortunately the battalion’s ammunition wagon had been lost in the retreat from Quatre Bras, and there was none to be had.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Nov 2 15 5:15 AM

2nd King's German Legion Brigade

So, things have been busy with the arrival of spring, and a reasonably successful RWC campaign.  Well done to the All Blacks for a magnificent win, after a consistent showing all tournament.  My disappointment for the Wallabies has subsided sufficiently to post some photos of the entire 2nd KGL Brigade.  Given that I have been feeling so pleased with my La Haye Sainte model, I decided to have a go at depicting (as close as my terrain collection permits) the position held by the brigade during the Waterloo battle at the commencement of the action.  Or at least until the cavalry supporting D’Erlon’s attack cleared away the skirmish screen.

7e326d483ea770adc86d004ee17406e02820698d

In the left foreground, you can see a company of skirmishers from 2 KGL Light Infantry, manning the orchard.  My map in Adkins shows the orchard to be of substantial size – larger in fact than the farm building footprint, so I have depicted it as such (ably bounded by some hedges Baxterj gave me). The remainder of the 2 KGL LI are deployed in the main farm complex and kitchen garden to its north.  To their right, extending to the distance is the remainder of the 2 KGL Brigade skirmish screen, deployed well forward of the main position.  It comprises the light companies from 5th and 8th KGL Line battalions, and 1st KGL Light Infantry.

9ea16b85a906c8d44aa5942bffd49e08e3e86fad

In the distance to the rear, you can see the remainder of the brigade on the Mont St Jean Ridge.  Upon reflection, it does seem that the LHS complex was well in advance of the main Allied line. And it feels a little isolated, too. If I had any roads, I’d have depicted the crossroads, and the sandpit.  Not sure how to do the roads.  Most of the commercially available ones seem like a fair bit of effort, and I have no experience of them with the blokes I usually game with.  I have toyed with the idea of simply sprinkling some soil onto the playing mat in appropriately defined lines to show the roads.  I might try that next time.  What have others done?

On the main ridge position, was situated Cleeves battery KGLFA, then 5th KGL Bn, and 1st KGL LI alongside the crossroads.  8th KGL Bn stood in depth.  Colonel Ompteda positioned himself behind the two forward battalions. I have deployed the battalions in line, as they might have been before the arrival of French cavalry in the afternoon.

66926c288aae105ac98df24386862e39d22a2497

I recently completed a casualty marker for 5th KGL Bn.  I have used the new figures from the AB Waterloo vignette – ostensibly of the 69th Foot at Quatre Bras, but is serves well for 5th KGL, which lost its colour in the afternoon after being surprised by cuirassiers, and decimated.  I think the sergeant figure is particularly well-sculpted.

6eb366fb8e5dab040981ceffd6954a569abeceaa

So that’s 2 KGL Brigade, the second in my 3rd Division.  I hope you have liked them.  Next up will be the 1st Hanoverian Brigade…

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Nov 22 15 9:32 AM

The Hanoverian army had been disbanded in 1803, after Napoleon’s conquest of Hanover.  Many of the officers and men fled to England, where they were able to be enrolled in the service of King George in the fledgling King’s German Regiment, quickly expanded to become the King’s German Legion.  Napoleon allowed Hanover to be administered by the Prussians, as an incentive for not forming an Alliance with the British.  After he defeated the Prussians in 1807, Hanover was absorbed into the Kingdom of Westphalia.  A Hanoverian Regiment was established as the local contribution to the Confederation of the Rhine some years later, which may have served in the Peninsula.  I do not know for certain, but both Baxterj and BBC have it painted up, so it must be so.

After the 1812 disaster in Russia, and declaration of war by the Prussians many parts of Germany rose against the French.  The Hanoverians formed 4 battalions in 1813 (Bremen-Verden, Luneberg, Lauenberg, and Grubenhagen, and a Jager unit) which supported by Prussian FreiKorps, Russians, and even some British (KGL) troops operated against the French as part of Wallmoden’s Corps in 1813. The Hanoverian uniforms were a mix of beg borrow steal, with a heavy supply of British kit, flavoured with local influences.  After the 1814 campaign, the Hanoverian Army was reorganized and reformed, and a more consistent approach to uniforms adopted.  Cadres from the KGL were assigned to each battalion, just in time for the Hundred Days Campaign.  The regular army units (called Field Battalions) were partnered with Landwehr battalions to form regionally-based regiments.

Wellington re-organised the Hanoverian Landwehr battalions into separate brigades from the Feld battalions, losing the benefit of the intended partnering arrangements.  Hanoverian Brigades were included in British Divisions to provide a greater consistency across formations.  The 1st Hanoverian Brigade under Oberst Count von Kielmansegge included three of the original 4 battalions, one of which had been split to form Feld Battalions Bremen and Verden. It had half of the Kielmansegge Jager detachment, now re-branded the Feld-Jager Corps, and the Feld Battalion Osnabruck (aka Duke of York’s Light Infantry).  Luneberg and Osnabruck had been formed as light infantry battalions.  This was the strongest Hanoverian Brigade, and the most experienced.  It was assigned to 3rd Division, under another Hanoverian officer in British service, Major General Karl von Alten.

0f736622831fa45a00c8ca0dda5b4354155df797

The first battalion to share with you is Feld Battalion Bremen.  Bremen was formed from the Bremen-Verden Battalion which was formed during the heady days of 1813, and saw action in North Germany, including at the battle of Gohrde, alongside Von Lutzow’s Freikorps, and the Russo-German Legion.  The unit was split into two with the reorganization of the Hanoverian Army in early 1815.  The battalions were formed around cadre from the KGL.  The Hanoverian battalions were organized in four company structure, similar to the Prussians.  In each company were a section of schutzen, or sharpshooters equipped with rifled muskets. Initially the Hanoverian units were kitted out in dark green jackets from stores provided by the KGL Light Infantry units.  In March 1815 they were designated to receive red jackets.  Some units did not receive their fresh uniforms in time for the Hundred Days Campaign.  Some individuals within units did not receive theirs either, campaigning instead in their initial issue green jackets.

09c16b88ab00c9d64e04ba5f58e1c5d017a447b7

I have had some wonderfully informed discussion with members of this forum (thanks in particular to Rod McArthur) on the uniforms of the Hanoverian Army at Waterloo.  There seem to be two main sources, one German (Sichart), and one English (Siborne).  I have preferred the German one, which is earlier, and seems also to have been followed by the Perry brothers in their Waterloo Hanoverians, and the Mont St Jean site.  Consequently. I have depicted Field Battalion Bremen wearing red jackets faced blue, with red wings piped white on the shoulders. I have depicted schutzen from each company in the green KGL Light Infantry jackets.  Trousers for Bremen were dark blue, a stovepipe shako with green plume, and black cross belts.  Officers had grey trousers, and a yellow sash.  Officer’s plumes were yellow tipped white.

9452617804a080c2cc9d82495dd8335954aeff4c

The equipment was largely British, either the Trotter knapsack, or the earlier brown one, with either black or white/buff straps, depending upon whose store they were drawn from initially.  Grey overcoat rolled on the top.  Haversacks were of unbleached linen.  I’ve opted for haversacks in a taupe colour, and a mix of black or brown knapsacks.  Canteens were the usual blue-grey.

5dc36e9c8cccae560ec5cd07ddf34c0bf5188f57

From 1814 Hanoverian units started using their own flags.  Historically Hanoverian units used two colours per battalion.  Given their adoption of many British practices, I saw no reason to ditch this one.  I’ve opted for a scheme I saw someone else using, which was a King’s Colour of the Elector’s coat of arms on a white field, with royal cyphers in the corner; and a town/provincial crest on a field of the unit facing colour.  Line battalions look better with a flag IMHO.

5413672d86fcaeb20e92c31fd8684fc7f25e120c

The skirmishers for the Bremen battalion I have depicted with a mix of the regulation uniform, teamed with a chap in the (slightly) older green jacket.  They will become part of the brigade skirmish screen.  There are a few more units in the brigade, which I am looking froward to sharing with you soon.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jan 3 16 12:08 PM

Luneberg Light Battalion

Team,

apologies for the delay.  Things have been a bit hectic over the last month or so. I hope you all had a good Christmas, and are enjoying a Happy New Year!  

The next battalion in my allotted brigade of Hanoverians is the Luneberg Light Battalion.  Another of the regular battalions in the Hanoverian army, formed in 1814, it was trained as a light infantry battalion.  It followed the Hanoverian organisation of four companies, each of approximately 160 men.  It performed well at Quatre Bras, and also at Waterloo.

31116384a40ac1d74982087d3353455e38f349cf

In 1815 it drew cadre from the KGL in order to stiffen its ranks, and drew its uniforms from the 1st KGL Light battalion’s stores.   The battalion is kitted out in rifle green jackets faced black, with grey trousers, stovepipe shakoes with green plumes, and black belts.  Officers wore sky blue trousers and yellow sashes.  Additional kit is a mix of beg and borrow equipment, mostly British.  The Hanoverian schirmutz is worn in rifle green as an undress cap, or sometimes in place of the shako.  I have tried a few head swaps in order to achieve this.  Not up to paulalba standards, but I am happy nonetheless.Wink02

e4816583a207cbdf490bdfd6d58703219af3cfcc

I have adopted the schema for flags that I outlined above.  In this case, a white King’s colour for the Hanoverian Elector, King George III, and a Regimental colour of the Luneberg town crest, on a black field (as per the facing colour).  This unit was stationed to the rear of La Haye Sainte during the battle along with the rest of the 3rd Division.  It was sent forward in the afternoon to relieve pressure on the defenders of the farm, and was surprised by French Cuirassiers, temporarily losing one of it’s colours.  It w sthe report of it losing “one of it’s colours” (Adkins, Barbero) rather than its colour which contributed to the conclusion that they hd more than one.  It was pre-1805 practice for Hanoverian units to have two colours, and British practice to have two colours, so I conclude that post-1814 when Hanoverian units started carrying colours again (Hofschroer) that units had two colours.

I have also done skirmishers and a casualty figure for this unit, but I will share those when I present the whole brigade.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jan 24 16 11:43 AM

Luneberg Light Battalion

I have now managed to take a couple of better snapshots of the Luneberg Light battalion, including the skirmishers.  These will give a better sense of the uniform of the Luneberg Light battalion. Each of the green-jacketed battalions have different distinctions, although nearly all have black facings.  The Luneberg Lights have black wings, similar to the Rifle battalions in the British army.  Belts are black leather, and the stovepipe shako with green plume is worn by rank and file.  This was actually one of the first Hanoverian battalions I painted, back when we started on this project, and I note how my style has developed in those intervening years. 

d9226fa8d0a490fdc83d0946bf1c50cba071aacc

This angle gives a better view of the drummer, and his red winged jacket, as well as the officer.  The regimental flag bears the crest of the town of Grubenhagen, on a black field, which seems reasonable given that the facing colour of the battalion is black.  The Kings’ colour is the coat of arms of George, Elector of Hanover.

22026a088aad003ccc1d6b4d78e4cdc11165a9bf

The skirmishers were musket armed, although there may have been a smattering of rifle armed schutzen in each company, I find it easier to simply treat them as musket armed for game purposes.

17f16b89ae0bcdd64fd73626b0cdb4174d36d7c4

Hope you are still enjoying these.

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help