Remove this ad

DCRBrown

General de Division

Lead

Feb 4 15 8:44 PM

Tags : :

Over on TMP we are having a bit of a debate over the pros & cons of the "Fired Last Turn" -1 modifier:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=367927

Con: I'm trying to avoid too many factors and hang overs from previous turns – this cuts out all those debates about "Did they fire last turn?" And this helps streamline game play and over-continuous reference to the written rules.

Pro: Having said that points in keeping the Fired Last Turn negative modifier are; fire discipline diminishing quickly once volleying got underway and the use of black powder that diminished visibility. The modifier also encourages players not to fire both continuously or at "unrealistic" targets, so helps encourage period tactics which of course all add to the historical/tactical "feel" of the rules.

Would be interested to hear people opinions on this one.

DB

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Rudorff

Brigadier

#1 [url]

Feb 5 15 5:09 PM

My view is that there was a drop-off in fire effect, for a whole host of inter-related factors, and so it should be represented. There are only really two ways to do this and keep it both simple and in keeping with the rules philosophy, and that is to keep the minus for "fired last turn" or give a plus factor for "first volley" a la Gilder.

The plus for "first volley" really means that a good unit will almost never have a poor opening shot, and occasionally an elite unit on a high roll will devastate it's target. On balance I favour the minus for "fired last turn" even at the risk of minimal book keeping. 

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#2 [url]

Feb 6 15 2:48 PM

G,

Thanks mate - interestingly I've also included a "First Volley" rule as well!

Rather than going for the standard +1 option, I'm trying a First Volley at Effective Range = Formation Test requirement on the target unit regardless of casualties inflicted; to represent the extra impact of the opening volley.

DB

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#4 [url]

Feb 6 15 4:32 PM

B,

Don't really wish to jump the gun too much with GdeB - but the answer is probably yes.

Some of the GaG mechanisms have real potential within GdeB - and I'll probably produce something akin to a pdf update to GdeB Deluxe at some point, and/or include them in the forthcoming scenarios volumes.

DB

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help