Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 14 15 2:56 PM

Tags : :

To anyone of the forum who happens to be in Pembrokeshire this weekend(218th Anniversary) of the Battle the only time a Battle honour has been awarded for a battle on British soil, It is being held at Tregwynt Mansion in the very Ballroom the local Commander Lt Col Thomas Knox was when he received the alarm!!

Feel free to call in on either day as there will be talks on what happened not the politically correct version the actual account!!

Martin Small

Mark will not be there as he is on a course 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 16 15 10:29 AM

See if you can get that Chew House model in there somewhere, Martin!

(Hope you've been feeling better since Warfare, by the way.)

Brendan

ps: Didn't know you needed to go on a course to skive off in the corner of a signal box.

Quote    Reply   

RMD

Rifleman

#2 [url]

Feb 16 15 8:00 PM

Yes, astonishing, isn't it?! However, this is me with my other, smarter-than-a-foxthat's-been-to-Oxford hat on: I have to attend a course on child protection. Bleh. I'd have the little blighters up chimneys or shipped to China to make trainers. It's PC gone mad, I tell you...

Mart, I'll be up during the week with the models and the unit profile sheets. Anything else you need?

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 17 15 6:32 PM

RMD - You'll definitely be my Justice Minister when the revolution comes, mate!

Just out of interest, do any modern units of HM Armed Forces still carry the battle honour, or is it just long-disbanded Yeomanry and the current bearer of the name of a famous ship (which is probably a supply boat that empties the heads of bigger vessels).

Brendan

Quote    Reply   

RMD

Rifleman

#4 [url]

Feb 17 15 7:13 PM

Yes, they're still in existence as the local Army Reserve (formerly TA) unit - 224 (Pembroke Yeomanry) Sqn, RLC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/224_(Pembroke_Yeomanry)_Squadron

They still have the right to carry their own guidon, so retain the Battle Honour. They're cap-badged as RLC, with PY collar-dogs (Prince of Wales' Feathers with 'Fishguard' scroll).

Quote    Reply   

RMD

Rifleman

#5 [url]

Feb 17 15 7:16 PM

The Cardiganshire Militia should also have had the Battle Honour. However, by the time it was belatedly awarded to the PY in the 1850s, the Cardiganshire Militia had long-since converted to Rifle Militia (they were affiliated with the 60th Rifles from 1812 onward) and therefore did not carry Colours and were not therefore entitled to Battle Honours.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 19 15 2:07 PM

Nice to see there's still someone carrying the honour. Re. the Rifle Militia, don't they carry honours on their cap/pouch badges? One of the two Regular rifle regiments used to do that, back in the day IIRC.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

RMD

Rifleman

#7 [url]

Feb 19 15 9:50 PM

That's a very good point. The KRRC (ex-60th) did indeed have loads of microscopic battle honours displayed on its cap-badge. Was that perhaps because the honours were awarded when the bulk of the 60th was still a Line infantry regiment and therefore had colours, even though the 5th Battalion was Rifles?

Curiously, the Cardiganshire Militia (or Royal Cardiganshire Rifle Militia as they became) was affiliated to the 60th and then KRRC, yet weren't permitted to carry the Battle Honour (as a point of interest, the Royal Pembrokeshire Rifle Militia were affiliated to the 95th/RB).

Quote    Reply   

RMD

Rifleman

#8 [url]

Feb 19 15 10:06 PM

It seems that the 60th did indeed win battle honours up until its full conversion to a Rifle regiment in 1824, even though it was the regiment's Rifle Battalions that were winning the Battle Honours. The 95th by contrast didn't win any battle honours at the time.

The regulations governing the award of battle honours changed in the late 19th Century and both the RB & KRRC were then awarded retrospective battle honours such as Waterloo 1815 for the RB and the Indian Mutiny 1857 for the KRRC. You then see battle honours listed for both regiments for the Boer Wars, WW1, WW2, etc. For some reason the Cardiganshire Militia were never retrospectively awarded the Fishguard 1797 honour after the relaxation of regulations. The Militia were disbanded at around the same time in any case and the new local TA battalion was affiliated to the Welch Regiment, not the KRRC. Consequently, no traditions were carried over from the old Militia regiments into the new 4th (Volunteer) Battalion of The Welch.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 24 15 7:24 PM

Hi Brendan
the weekend went well 60-70 enjoyed my non-politically correct version of the Battle which did not include that the whole of the UK was saved by 1 very Drunk 6ft tall Welsh Woman!!
Martin
are you going to salute Brendan

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help