Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 11 15 3:50 PM

Tags : :

For gaming the War of 1812 in 15mm scale would you recommend British Grenadier or General de Brigade?   

Currently using Black Powder.

Thanks,

Brian

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 11 15 6:33 PM

Definitely British Grenadier for my money, as the AWI is a much closer model for the War of 1812 - and F&I War - than mainstream Napoleonics, due to the limited numbers and "light" nature of cavalry and artillery, and the mix of regular and irregular infantry with their predominantly linear formations.  The De Luxe edition of BG actually has practice scenarios for the F&I War and War of 1812. 

I've tried Black Powder and whilst I didn't loathe it, I found it didn't give any particular "period flavour" regardless of which conflict was being gamed.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 4 15 3:38 AM

Part way through our first game and have 2 questions.

1. Can a unit within a brigade change formation at any time? For example can a unit under move orders change from column to line before it reaches its objective?
2. My units range in size from 4 to 24 figures with the average size being 16 figures. Is this too small to inflict sufficient casualties with musketry to allow the game to play to a conclusion in a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks,
Brian

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 5 15 1:41 PM

Hi Brian 

Glad to see someone else playing 1812 .
1) yes mate
2) If you are using B.G which i think you are, you should be ok as the ave unit size is 16 figs.. its not about casualties its about managing them D.Ps 
smiley: eek i must say B.G takes a bit longer time to play than GdB ..

I play both B.G and GdB in 1812 and find it very hard for the militia to stand up against british line under the GdB set of rules.. But they never did ! smiley: smile

Happy gaming  Dave.v 

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 19 15 3:27 PM

War of 1812

Thanks Dave. I am gaming in 15mm and find the BG conversion for 15mm confusing. If I understand it correctly the movement (based on die rolls) remains the same for 15mm as 25mm, the die number equals movement in inches. However for firing ranges in 15mm the author appears to have reduced the ranges by 1/3 (the 25mm inch ranges are multiplied by 1.667 then used as centimeters, so effective musket range in 15mm is 10cm versus 6” for 25mm). If so this would favour the attacker in 15mm as they could move faster in relation to the ranges and thus take less shooting damage advancing to contact? I am thinking I will just use the 25mm ranges for my 15mm games.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 20 15 8:16 AM

Hi Brian you are spot on there ..
What i do when playing my 15mm AWI i play in inches but just half the 28mm charts. I have played it in the pass as each inch = 1cm but i find that its a bit slower ..
Happy gaming dave.v

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Aug 20 15 6:56 PM

Thanks Von. Not so sure about cutting the ranges in half for 15mm. The author stated earlier in this forum that the ground scale was around 6” = 100 yards which works out to 1” = 16.7 yards. If you cut the ranges in half it is then 1” = 33.3 yards. Most of the maps I have created for my games are based on 1” = 20 yards much like the map for Chippawa in the rule book. That means the 1” = 16.7 yards would be closer to reflecting the real ground scale of the battlefield. The 1” = 33.3 yards would probably slow the game down and could result in circumstances where troops would be out of range when they should not be as per the map. On the other hand I can see how your idea of cutting the ranges in half makes sense based on base frontages. A typical 24 figure unit in two ranks would have a base frontage of 12cm or 4.75” (one 15mmfigure takes up 10mm). Such a formation based on the figure scale of 1 miniature equaling 20 men give you 480 man unit that would have a frontage of around 147 yards (standard British drill manual for the time said 1 man occupied a 22” frontage in close order). This would be more accurately reflected with the 1” = 33.3 yards scale (4.75 x 33.3 = 158 yards) whereas the 1” = 16.7 yards give too small a frontage. No easy answers. Now I see why the author did not explicitly state the ground scale!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 24 15 7:26 PM

Related question, how would you classify militia for War of 1812? Specifically I am thinking of the Pennsylvania militia and Canadian Lincoln militia in the British Grenadier Chippawa scenario; should they all be classed as skirmishers since they fought in the woods during that battle? My inclination would be to class them as skirmishers.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Sep 4 15 9:45 PM

sounds a good plan to me..

Happy gaming dave.v

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help