Remove this ad

DCRBrown

General de Division

Lead

Sep 28 15 6:08 PM

Tags : :

Last weekend fifteen budding GdeB players swarmed into Basingstoke to replay Ligny courtesy of Mark Freeth at the Wargames Holiday Centre.

We followed a historical set up with Napoleon deploying Gerard on the French right and Vandamme on the left. Milhaud's heavy cavalry plus the Imperial Guard were held in central reserve. The Prussians deployed in both Ligny and St. Amand and held a forward line on the Ligny brook.

(There was much rule discussion on what sort of feature Ligny brook should be - obviously French players stated it was a small puddle, barely a foot wide. The Prussians had "historical" evidence that is was four metres wide, over 50 feet deep with a current so fast nothing could withstand it! In the end we settled on half a turn penalty to cross and a formation test in the good sections, with instant unforming to the east of Ligny where it appeared the brook was deeper.)

In addition we play tested a new variant of the command and control rules designed for larger, faster paced games than the traditional GdeB order system.

The opening moves saw both Gerard and Vandamme's corps simultaneously advance upon their respective target of Ligny and St Amand.

Ligny was stoutly defended, while the outskirts of St. Amand were found unoccupied, thus the French quickly took possession and used this to launch their assault upon St. Amand proper.

As fighting progressed the Prussian were plagued with particularly bad brigade morale results, forcing them to cede ground to the French and send more reserves to reinforce both village sectors. The movement of the Prussian reserves away from the centre prompted Napoleon to send forward Milhaud's cuirassiers and the Young Guard aiming at the centre of the Prussian line between Ligny and St. Amand.

Despite some seriously poor staff work the French eventually coordinated the release of the Imperial guard at the Prussian centre. As a result Milhaud's heavies went in first crossing the brook and engaging the Prussian infantry and cavalry reserves, where they experienced great success, riding down a battery and routing off several Prussian cavalry regiments.

This pathed the way for the final advance of the Guard who moved up to cross the Ligny brook.

As they did so both Gerard and Vandamme redoubled their efforts to push beyond Ligny and St. Amand, which they managed to despite increasing Prussian reserves being drawn into the battle.

These combined attacks saw several Prussian commands disperse and true to its historical counterpart our refight resulted in a won a hard fought victory for Napoleon.

DB

Last Edited By: DCRBrown Sep 29 15 8:26 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Sep 28 15 9:23 PM

Looks great Dave.  Large scale 28mm games are quite the spectacle.  Particularly with such superb terrain.

I notice that in the second photograph the skirmishers appear to be in two ranks.  Is this a new rule, or just compression of their frontage?
And did you need to cut the orbats down much?

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#6 [url]

Sep 29 15 11:58 AM

Beresford,

The skirmishers are in two ranks, as you suspected, compressed in order to keep them out of the way of other formations.

We decided that the Prussian left flank, (Thielmann vs Exelman) would be ignored, as nothing really happened. I don't think that engagement really started until late evening. So in order to create more space and manoeuvre room we just concentrated on the Prussian centre and left.

We cut the orbat down by about one third.

DB

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 29 15 1:09 PM

This looks really good.
Have I missed something here? Are these events open to the public or private affairs? We Marauders are always looking for WHC events but never quite manage it, one of these with "native" rules might work out.
Secondly, many of the fine toys being used look new/modern, is Mark updating the WHC collection?
Good looking synopsis DB, any chance of the "nitty gritty" on special scenario rules, orbats and full Batrep - we live for this stuff man!

Best wishes
Jeremy 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 29 15 3:54 PM

Mes Amis,

Greetings from the centre of France.

Good news is that I was there and had a great time with a great team of gentlemen gamers in a fabulous venue, thanks to Mark at WHC, and well looked after at the Basingstoke Hilton as well.

Not so good news was that I was the Prussian commander holding, for a while at least, Ligny.

We Prussian chaps are having to put up with a lot of crowing from les Francais which is understandable.

Nevertheless, impartial observers might say that French celebrations would have been more justified if the balance of forces had been less biased towards them.

I, of course, couldn't possibly comment!

However, I shall play the scenario again as it is a great fun and I challenge the French commanders to see if they can win when wearing Prussian Blue!

Cheers,

Paul

Last Edited By: ambert1 Sep 29 15 4:01 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 29 15 5:32 PM

Hi Jeremy,

As to your question about whether the games are by invitation only or otherwise probably depends on the game in question.

Best to ask Mark at:

info@wargameshc.co.uk

I'd like to emphasise that the venue and welcome are both excellent and I can't wait until I can return.

Cheers,

Paul

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 2 15 5:02 AM

Wonderful looking game gentlemen.

Great to see so many figures on the table.

Very interested in your variant of command and control David for larger games.
Cheers

Carlo

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Oct 2 15 6:04 AM

Bonjour Beresford,

The skirmishers were only 2 lines deep because they were too widely based in the first place so needed to be doubled-up so as to not cover too wide a frontage.

Therefore there was no effect on their firing.

As they were firing at me (!) I'm grateful that their firing was poor as each French brigade had an 18 figure skirmish screen and the Prussians had none.

They were supported by Grand Bandes and backed up with infantry columns which is a tricky combination to deal with without skirmishers of your own to neutralise them or cavalry to threaten them.

The gallant Prussians nevertheless fought a determined defence.

Cheers,

Paul

Quote    Reply   

Rudorff

Brigadier

#13 [url]

Oct 2 15 10:19 AM

ambert1 wrote:
Mes Amis,

Nevertheless, impartial observers might say that French celebrations would have been more justified if the balance of forces had been less biased towards them.

I, of course, couldn't possibly comment!

Paul
If it's a Brown scenario, quelle surprise it's biased towards the French smiley: eek smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 2 15 11:21 PM

Bonjour Paul,

Vielen danke! for your explanation.  I can see that they have been compressed into two ranks to fit the frontage.  My question is: Did both ranks count for firing, or only the front rank?

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   

DCRBrown

General de Division

#15 [url]

Oct 3 15 4:46 PM

B,

No, the second rank can not fire.

If they did fire, then they were being every naughty indeed! (Though probably not for the first time. smiley: wink)

DB

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Oct 27 15 9:20 AM

That really does look great

I'll have to add the WHC to my bucket list

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help