Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 13 17 9:07 AM

Tags : :

Hi all, A couple of questions about detaching cavalry squadrons. 

Suppose  I have a cavalry brigade of 2 regiments, each of 4 squadrons so 24 miniatures. I want to split in two equal parts one of the two regiments  so now my brigade has 3 units, one of 4 squadrons and two of 2 squadrons each.
1. In this case I incremented the numbers of units of my brigade so all my 3 units has to retire in order to test the brigade morale. If I had not split one of the two cavalry regiment only two retiring unit were sufficient to test brigade morale. Is this right? If yes this seems to be a trick to me.
2.If one of the two halves is routing  within 15cm of the other one so does the first cause the unit morale to the second one even if they are the same regiment?
3. Just a thought about cavalry formation. Which is the difference between a cavalry column one squadron wide and 4 deep and another one 2 wide and 2 deep? They will use different speed, colum the first one and line the second one, but both will count all 4 squadrons in melee. Is this correct? So in this case which is the advantage of using the line instead of column?

Thanks a lot to everyone
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 14 17 7:34 AM

Bonjour Kiruccia,

I’m not entirely clear about your questions but here are my thoughts:

Re: “Suppose  I have a cavalry brigade of 2 regiments, each of 4 squadrons so 24 miniatures. I want to split in two equal parts one of the two regiments  so now my brigade has 3 units, one of 4 squadrons and two of 2 squadrons each.”

OK that’s now 3 cavalry units.

Re: “In this case I incremented the numbers of units of my brigade so all my 3 units has to retire in order to test the brigade morale. If I had not split one of the two cavalry regiment only two retiring unit were sufficient to test brigade morale. Is this right? If yes this seems to be a trick to me.”

You’re right but it’s not a “trick” as although you have more units 2 of your units are weaker than they would have been and therefore more likely to retreat anyway, or worse still, rout thereby causing a Brigade Test.

Re: “If one of the two halves is routing within 15cm of the other one so does the first cause the unit morale to the second one even if they are the same regiment?”

Page 83 paragraph 8.16 section b answers this point so for morale purposes they are now separate units.

Re: “Just a thought about cavalry formation. Which is the difference between a cavalry column one squadron wide and 4 deep and another one 2 wide and 2 deep? They will use different speed, colum the first one and line the second one, but both will count all 4 squadrons in melee. Is this correct? So in this case which is the advantage of using the line instead of column?”

Your understanding is the same as mine. Using a formation 2 squadrons wide in my experience is to occupy a wider front and/or to be more accurately historically.

Hope these answers help a little.

Cheers,

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 14 17 9:24 AM

Cavalry Column/Line

Hi,
As with an Infantry column Cavalry would move/attack in a deeper formation than the norm ie Line when the unit/formation was required to attack/advance along a restricted front.
Advantage of a line is that it can reinforce and be reinforced in a melee but a column of 4 deep + cannot either be reinforced or reinforce a melee plus firing units get a +1/+2 modifier.
Cheers LRS 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 14 17 10:42 AM

Hi guys,
Thanks for your kind replies.
Understood the questions, the only last remark I have now is that splitting our 4 squadrons regiment in two halves (turn 1) and charging the same enemy unit (turn 2)I have to do 2 separate morale test to charge and this give me more chances of close contact. Of course, I have 2 weaker units but if I manage to pass test I'll have my regiment reconstituted again, numerically speaking , and also I have to roll dices 2 times and I can use the higher score while resolving melee.
This is a good opportunity to overwhelm the enemy 😊

Thanks again
Fabrizio

Last Edited By: kiruccia Mar 14 17 11:15 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 15 17 2:30 PM

cavalry in column of squadrons have too advantages

Fabrizio,
this topic was discussed in a previous post some years ago.
see
http://generaldebrigade.fr.yuku.com/reply/34300/Cavalry-charge-in-column-of-squadrons#reply-34300
To our club we use an house rules:
Column of squadrons with 3 ranks deep (instead of 4) are considerated "column" for fire effects and massed columns. Cavalry vs Cavalry in melee with large wide front has +1.
Now it makes sense to use a cavalry line formation...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Mar 16 17 8:14 AM

Bonjour Fabrizio,

Useful discussion here as I'd not fully understood the tactics explained by longroadsouth.

as to your point "the only last remark I have now is that splitting our 4 squadrons regiment in two halves (turn 1) and charging the same enemy unit (turn 2)I have to do 2 separate morale test to charge and this give me more chances of close contact. Of course, I have 2 weaker units but if I manage to pass test I'll have my regiment reconstituted again, numerically speaking , and also I have to roll dices 2 times and I can use the higher score while resolving melee.
This is a good opportunity to overwhelm the enemy"

You're absolutely right but don't forget we're also trying to be historically accurate otherwise, for example, all our brigades would always be just one unit to avoid taking Brigade Tests!!

Cheers,

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 17 17 12:53 PM

Splitting Cavalry Regts

Sorry,was not really trying to expound on Cavalry tactics just to explain my own thoughts on the use of Column.
I agree with the comments on using the ability to split a Regiment up into its component Squadrons for an advantage under the rules,I have always thought this was to be done so you do not have to commit an entire Regiment to an attack but could hold back Squadrons as a kind of  reserve not to create another,seperate unit/units.
LRS 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 21 17 11:34 PM

And I believe that you may only split the regiment or create detachments prior to the start of the game, not during it. So as per your example, it really is "Turn 1".

Cheers,
Beresford

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help