Remove this ad

Lead

May 26 17 6:02 PM

Tags : :

Last night my friend and I gave the rules a go. Everything went beautifully until he charged. We followed the steps until #5, move up to the 5cm point. We were unsure what that meant. Does one stop at 5cm, then have defensive fire, do you use regular movement to move up to the 5cm point? Do you only use the charge bonus at that point? Getting from item 5 to items 6-8 feels like it is missing a step. He used his charge bonus d6 to wheel. He moved forward in a straight line, making partial contact at an angle. We then went to numbers 6-8. These would seem to indicate that he had gotten to within 5cm, but not "reached" the enemy, so we completed the charge as unformed and closed the door to form up WFB style. After we muddled through contact my defensive fire gave drove him off Whipped, he had one support. Here he moved straight back and interpenetrated the support(unforming them), but got behind them, halting the Whipped move. The "then supports retire" line from the defensive fire section lead us to after the Whipped unit halted in, then move the now unformed support back 30cm. This caused an unusual result with the Whipped unit being close to the enemy, having halted behind a unit that was then no longer there and the support being very far away. The actual charge mechanic was not problem, we didn't even get to use it. But getting from Charge declaration to contact caused us no small confusion. Thanks for any help. image Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

DCRBrown

General de Division

#1 [url]

May 27 17 8:06 AM

B,

We followed the steps until #5, move up to the 5cm point. We were unsure what that meant. Does one stop at 5cm, then have defensive fire,
Yes, all charges stop and are resolved at the 5cm [3"] point. That's includes all defensive fire as well.

do you use regular movement to move up to the 5cm point? Do you only use the charge bonus at that point?
Your charge move is regular movement plus the charge bonus combined. You take the full combined charge move from the start. As long as that combined move can get you to the 5cm [3"] point then the charge goes ahead.

He used his charge bonus d6 to wheel. He moved forward in a straight line, making partial contact at an angle. We then went to numbers 6-8. These would seem to indicate that he had gotten to within 5cm, but not "reached" the enemy, so we completed the charge as unformed
That's seems right - but remember all charges halt at the 5cm [3"] point - you do not move any units into contact, (unless there's a melee).

my defensive fire gave drove him off Whipped, he had one support. Here he moved straight back and interpenetrated the support(unforming them), but got behind them, halting the Whipped move. The "then supports retire" line from the defensive fire section lead us to after the Whipped unit halted in, then move the now unformed support back 30cm. This caused an unusual result with the Whipped unit being close to the enemy, having halted behind a unit that was then no longer there and the support being very far away.
All defeated charge units (lead units and supports) will move back (either whipped or retiring) at the same time - so in this case a friendly supporting unit needs to be any fellow unit within the distance, not actually involved in this charge. (This support need not be from the same brigade, just any unit that will offer some safety to the retiring/whipped units.)

Hope that helps.

DB

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 28 17 5:27 PM

"Move up to the 5cm point" Charge questions.

Thank you Dave. That does clear things up. It means what it says. But we're were not sure what that meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help