Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 4 17 4:18 AM

Tags : :

David,
Really enjoying learning these rules - finding the trickiest learning curve is the Morale rules, especially for supporting units.

- We've come to understand and play that any unit in a Support position in a charge or melee must Retire if the main unit is forced to Retreat (I know I read about support units Retiring somewhere!). Now in the #8 Video, when your French column retreated the nearby supporting battalion did not flinch.

I'll stress this is a very well laid out book especially given its depth but some clarification on what happens to Supports - and when - would be great.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

DCRBrown

General de Division

#1 [url]

Jun 4 17 9:29 AM

GC,

any unit in a Support position in a charge or melee must Retire if the main unit is forced to Retreat

The French brigade in question was not on an Assault order - which means that it can only charge with one unit, thus it had no supports in the charge itself. (Which is why it didn't do very well!) For the attacker, having supports does not mean those supports are committed in the charge, there must be an Assault order in place to permit those supports to charge, thus as they are not involved in the charge they are not impacted by the charge result.

Had the brigade been on Assault, then one or two of those rear support columns could also have been committed into the charge, and they would have also moved up keeping their respective positions to the lead charge unit. If the results had been the same, then yes, these columns would also have retired.

DB

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help